The first flight out of Bejing’s new airport will be this Sunday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The brand-new Beijing Daxing International Airport will welcome its first commercial flights this Sunday, September 22, with a double daily service by China Southern to its hub in Guangzhou. That’s in advance of the official opening on September 30.
The new airport, whose three-letter code will be PKX, has four runways and plans to handle 72 million passengers each year by 2025, which would make it one of the world’s busiest airports.
It won’t put the existing Beijing airport, PEK, out of business, though. Beijing Capital International Airport will remain operational. Last year, it saw 100 million passengers pass through its terminals, which made it the second-busiest by passenger numbers after Atlanta. Most airlines will chose to operate to either PKX or PEK, though some intend to use both.
So why the need for such an enormous second airport? Beijing Capital is almost at capacity, which limits growth in such a booming travel market. The designers of Beijing Daxing have chosen a “starfish” design and promise that no passengers will have to walk more than 650 yards from security to gate, unlike the mammoth new Istanbul Airpot (IST), which has some of the longest distances between gates of any airport in the world. PKX will become a major hub for the SkyTeam alliance, as it’ll be home to SkyTeam members such as Air France, KLM and Delta plus local giant China Eastern. China Southern, which will leave the SkyTeam alliance at the end of this year, is expected to eventually move all operations from PEK to PKX.
Remaining at PEK Airport will be local Star Alliance member Air China, though it has been given some slots at PKX as well.
Featured image by VCG/VCG via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.