First Class Upgrades and More Coming to Alaska Airbus Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
As the integration of Alaska and Virgin America moves along, we are seeing more positive developments for Alaska fliers. The Virgin America brand officially goes away later this month when all flights will be marketed as Alaska operated, even though the two airlines came under one operating certificate in January.
Starting April 25, Alaska elites will be eligible for complimentary upgrades to first class seats on Virgin America Airbus aircraft. Additionally, Alaska elites will also be able to select Virgin’s Main Cabin Select seats at booking because they will now be listed as Alaska’s “Premium Class” seats. Before, Alaska elites were only eligible for upgrades to preferred economy seats — Main Cabin Select are Virgin’s extra legroom economy seats that come with amenities like free snacks and alcoholic drinks.
Essentially, Alaska is standardizing its MileagePlan elite benefits across all its aircraft.
Once Virgin flights “become” Alaska flights, upgrade rules change for the better when you’re on an Alaska Airbus aircraft (what was Virgin’s fleet). Before Alaska elites could only upgrade on Alaska’s Boeing aircraft. Now Travel Codex reports that those with Alaska status will be able to select Main Cabin Select seats in advance according to these rules:
- MVP Gold 75K: All fares eligible for an immediate upgrade to Premium Class.
- MVP Gold: Y, Z, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V N, and K fares are eligible for an immediate upgrade to Premium Class. Other fares may clear within 72 hours of departure.
- MVP: Y, Z, S, and B fares are eligible for an immediate upgrade to Premium Class. Other fares may clear within 48 hours of departure.
Before the rule change, fliers could only upgrade to Virgin’s first class via paid upgrade, and Virgin elites received discounts on those paid upgrades. Now, elite flyers can score complimentary upgrades to Alaska first class on old Virgin Airbus aircraft. These aircraft have eight spacious first-class seats, although Alaska plans on retrofitting Virgin Airbus aircraft with Alaska’s redesigned higher density first-class cabins.
Upgrades are awarded based on fare class and elite status — so the higher status you have and the more premium ticket you’ve purchased, the better chance you have for an upgrade. Travel Codex also points out that MVP Gold and 75K elites can now use their Gold Guest upgrade certificates on the pre-merger Airbus planes.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees