First Class Upgrades and More Coming to Alaska Airbus Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
As the integration of Alaska and Virgin America moves along, we are seeing more positive developments for Alaska fliers. The Virgin America brand officially goes away later this month when all flights will be marketed as Alaska operated, even though the two airlines came under one operating certificate in January.
Starting April 25, Alaska elites will be eligible for complimentary upgrades to first class seats on Virgin America Airbus aircraft. Additionally, Alaska elites will also be able to select Virgin’s Main Cabin Select seats at booking because they will now be listed as Alaska’s “Premium Class” seats. Before, Alaska elites were only eligible for upgrades to preferred economy seats — Main Cabin Select are Virgin’s extra legroom economy seats that come with amenities like free snacks and alcoholic drinks.
Essentially, Alaska is standardizing its MileagePlan elite benefits across all its aircraft.
Once Virgin flights “become” Alaska flights, upgrade rules change for the better when you’re on an Alaska Airbus aircraft (what was Virgin’s fleet). Before Alaska elites could only upgrade on Alaska’s Boeing aircraft. Now Travel Codex reports that those with Alaska status will be able to select Main Cabin Select seats in advance according to these rules:
- MVP Gold 75K: All fares eligible for an immediate upgrade to Premium Class.
- MVP Gold: Y, Z, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V N, and K fares are eligible for an immediate upgrade to Premium Class. Other fares may clear within 72 hours of departure.
- MVP: Y, Z, S, and B fares are eligible for an immediate upgrade to Premium Class. Other fares may clear within 48 hours of departure.
Before the rule change, fliers could only upgrade to Virgin’s first class via paid upgrade, and Virgin elites received discounts on those paid upgrades. Now, elite flyers can score complimentary upgrades to Alaska first class on old Virgin Airbus aircraft. These aircraft have eight spacious first-class seats, although Alaska plans on retrofitting Virgin Airbus aircraft with Alaska’s redesigned higher density first-class cabins.
Upgrades are awarded based on fare class and elite status — so the higher status you have and the more premium ticket you’ve purchased, the better chance you have for an upgrade. Travel Codex also points out that MVP Gold and 75K elites can now use their Gold Guest upgrade certificates on the pre-merger Airbus planes.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.