Finland is open for visitors, no vaccination required
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Americans are once again allowed to visit Finland, as the country has reopened its borders to vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers alike as of July 26, the Visit Finland tourism board confirmed.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Vaccinated travelers from all countries, including the U.S., are now permitted to enter Finland, so long as they have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days prior to arrival in Finland. The Finnish government will accept vaccines authorized by the European Medicines Agency and/or World Health Organization. Acceptable vaccination certificates include the EU Digital COVID Certificate as well as those written in English, Finnish or Swedish.
Although there are no testing or quarantine requirements for vaccinated visitors, unvaccinated travelers must provide results of a negative COVID-19 test or recent recovery from COVID-19 within the preceding six months, followed by another COVID-19 test taken on days three to five of being in Finland, during which period you are expected to isolate until receipt of negative test results. The same applies to those who have received one dose of a two-dose vaccine at least 14 days prior to arrival in Finland: You will be subjected to a COVID-19 test three to five days after arrival, during which period you are directed to self-isolate until receipt of negative test results. COVID-19 testing locations can be found here.
Travelers under the age of 15 are exempt from travel requirements, as well as travelers coming from countries designated as low risk. As of Aug. 9, neither a vaccination certificate nor COVID-19 test is required for entry to Finland for persons from the following countries:
- Hong Kong.
- New Zealand.
- The Vatican.
- The Norwegian municipalities of Storfjord, Kafjord, Nordreisa, Kautokeino, Karasjok, Tana, Nesseby and Sor-Varanger.
As of Aug. 12, nearly 40% of the Finnish population is fully vaccinated, per data from the Finnish Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, which also noted that approximately 5,000 new COVID-19 cases were reported from Aug. 2-8, compared to just over 4,600 the week before.
“In Finland, around 68 per cent of the population have received at least their first vaccine dose and 39 per cent of the population have received a full COVID-19 vaccine course, i.e. they have received the second vaccine dose,” the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health said in a press release on Aug. 12. “Among those in need of hospital care in Finland, the number of young adults and unvaccinated patients is currently notable. The overall burden on specialised healthcare has reduced slightly, but the need for intensive care has increased compared to the situation a week before.”
Pandemic-related health and safety measures remain in place in Finland, including social distancing and required face masks on public transportation in large cities. Restrictions were increased on Aug. 8 in high-risk areas, including closing restaurants, bars and cafes at 11 p.m. Otherwise, restaurants, cafes and bars are open indoors and out, with socially distanced seating.
Most tourist attractions and accommodations are open, but the tourism organization encourages travelers to double-check with establishments before booking.
Featured photo of Helsinki by Finn stock/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees