FDA authorizes use of Pfizer vaccine for kids 12 and over
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Potentially major news for travel tonight: the Food and Drug Administration has authorized the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 12-15 years old in the United States.
It’s a crucial step in the fight against the pandemic and could mean many more families booking travel. Many parents have been waiting to hear about vaccinations for kids before booking family trips. Still, it’s not the final step before vaccinations can begin for that age group. The Centers for Disease Control will need to meet to review the data and sign-off. That meeting could take place in the next few days, and then vaccinations could begin immediately after that.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
In a statement the agency said, “FDA has determined that Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine has met the statutory criteria to amend the EUA (Emergency Use Authorization), and that the known and potential benefits of this vaccine in individuals 12 years of age and older outweigh the known and potential risks, supporting the vaccine’s use.”
Pfizer’s senior VP of vaccine and clinical research and development, William Gruber, told Bloomberg in an interview, that “Children may be a “remaining engine fueling the pandemic. It’s important for us to attack that.”
In fact, studies into vaccine use for children younger than 12 are underway, and could get approval as soon as the end of the year.
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was approved for adults in the U.S. after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an emergency-use authorization back in December. It was the first vaccine approved for adults in the United States.
Featured image courtesy Marko Geber/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees