You’ll now know immediately how many bonus miles you earned for dining out
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you utilize an airline-sponsored dining program to earn miles for dining out, you may have received an email similar to this one that landed in my inbox this morning.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Beginning in early December, Rewards Network — the company that operates dining rewards programs for Alaska Airlines, American, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit and United — will begin sending real-time email updates to customers as soon as they pay at participating restaurants. Rewards Network will collect data from American Express, MasterCard and Visa about the date and time of the dining transaction, which in turn will be shared with diners in the form of an email listing the number of estimated points they will earn on their spend before tip and tax are calculated.
This is exciting news for loyal customers of Rewards Network airline partners. While dining rewards programs have been around for years, the Rewards Network system has also stayed more or less the same since then. With this change, Rewards Network brings its platform up to speed with newer competitors like Dosh, Drop and Yelp, which already offer real-time updates summarizing the amount earned in cash back or points and miles awarded.
Dining rewards programs are a fantastic way to double-dip your earnings when you eat out. The first tier of rewards comes from using a credit card that earns bonus miles on dining. The second tier comes from programs like Rewards Network, which track your credit card number and offer additional bonuses for dining at restaurants that participate in the program. You’ll either earn cash back, like with Yelp, or earn miles as with Southwest. You can earn a further small bonus for completing a quick online survey within a few days of your dining experience.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.