European Union to Improve Commercial Pilots’ Mental Health Testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The European Union has passed new regulations focused on improving the mental health testing of commercial airline pilots. The new legislation follows the intentional and fatal Germanwings crash by the flights’ co-pilot back in 2015.
The new psychological testing will begin in the EU in 2020, according to the EU’s executive Commission. Before pilots begin flying, they will have to undergo the mental health assessment, as well as “systematic tests on pilots and cabin crew for psychoactive substances before they’re hired, and unannounced testing after they recover from any illness and return to work,” The Associated Press reports.
The new mental health precautions follow Germanwings Flight 4U9525, which turned deadly in March 2015 after the flight’s co-pilot locked the captain out of the cockpit and intentionally crashed the aircraft into the French Alps. All 144 passengers and six crew members aboard the Airbus A320 were tragically killed upon the impact on the rough mountainside.
The co-pilot who crashed the plane, Andreas Lubitz, had allegedly suffered from depression for years preceding the incident, but Germanwings, a Lufthansa subsidiary, wasn’t aware of his mental state and deemed him able to fly. The new psychological evaluations of pilots, including testing after a bout of illness, come in hopes of preventing a similar tragedy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees