EU vaccine passports will be ‘valid for 9 months’ after first dose
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
European “vaccine passports” will now be valid for nine months after the holder’s first dose, according to Reuters.
The European Commission ratified the new rules as European countries tighten controls on travelers in a bid to reduce the spread of the omicron coronavirus variant over the busy winter holiday period.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
From Feb. 1, 27 EU states will be obliged to let fully vaccinated travelers across their borders without having to provide a negative test, so long as they have a valid European Union COVID-19 certificate.
Currently, seven European nations (Italy, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Latvia, Cyprus and Austria) demand that all visitors provide a negative COVID-19 test, whether they are fully vaccinated or not.
The regulations do leave wiggle room for exceptions, though, justified by a deteriorating situation. These could include the reintroduction of negative tests and quarantines, but governments will have to prove such measures are proportionate.
“We prefer to use for the free movement in Europe only the certificate without additional measures,” EU justice commissioner Didier Reynders told Reuters.
The nine-month expiration window applies only to travel, however. Governments will have the option of extending the duration of COVID-19 passes for events held inside their own countries.
It is also likely the window will be widened indefinitely for people who have had their booster, though the Commission said it is still too early to say for how long a third dose provides immunity.
Featured image by portishead1/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees