Etihad Guest Miles will no longer expire, airline says
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad Airways announced on November 15 that it had revamped its popular Etihad Guest program, adding chauffeur service for select travelers using miles and removing a restriction that caused miles to expire.
The airline now says Etihad Guest Miles will no longer expire and will remain valid as long as at least one eligible transaction is made every 18 months. Previously, Etihad miles expired after 24 months.
Travelers with Gold and above Etihad status can take advantage of complimentary one-way chauffeur service to or from Abu Dhabi International Airport when traveling in Business and First on miles redemption tickets. Platinum members will now have a dedicated contact number for premium guest service agents who are available to assist.
Travelers will also be able to pay, either with miles or a combination of miles and cash, for economy space, extra baggage and insurance. Upgrades and related services, such as excess baggage and taxes, will also be available to be purchased with miles.
Related: Video: Inside the Etihad Residence with TPG
“We are very proud of the Etihad Guest programme and through its well-timed relaunch are striving to deliver new and more innovative ways of rewarding the loyalty of our millions of guests worldwide,” said CEO Robin Kamark in a statement, “by removing restrictions wherever possible, and by providing a wider range of superior benefits and products, delivered to them with the style and professionalism they have come to expect from Etihad Guest.”
Etihad Airways is the second-largest carrier in the UAE (behind Emirates) and has its main hub at Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH). The airline operates more than 1,000 flights per week, flying to over 75 destinations with a fleet of 117 aircraft.
Etihad Guest Miles are relatively easy to collect, making it even more surprising that the program hasn’t become a mainstream strategy.
You can transfer both Citi ThankYou Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards to Etihad Guest at a 1:1 transfer ratio. There have also been a few transfer bonuses offered by the banks in the past, which sweeten the deal when they happen. You can also transfer the new Marriott points to Etihad, with a 5,000-mile transfer bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points you transfer. Etihad miles are worth 1.4 cents each, according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Etihad’s famous Residence (which TPG himself flew a while back) can be booked for about 2 million Etihad Guest miles — which is lofty, but makes for a sweet redemption when you compare it to the cash price of $20,000 – $30,000. But if that’s too much, there are several partner airlines you can redeem miles with. For instance, you can book a one-way transcontinental flight on American’s A321T in business for 25,000 miles or one-way to Casablanca, Morocco in Royal Air Maroc business class for 44,000 miles.
Featured image courtesy of Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees