Etihad aircraft perform stunning flyover of the F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sunday, Lewis Hamilton won a decisive victory in the 10th annual Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, held at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. But before the festivities commenced, spectators were treated to a wonderful airshow featuring a number of Etihad aircraft as well as Al Fursan, the aerobatic demonstration team of the UAE Air Force.
Etihad included two aircraft in the show, a Boeing 787-9 and an Airbus A380. These are Etihad’s most luxurious jets, featuring (on select 787s) Etihad’s newest first class suites and on the A380, the spacious first class apartments, as well as the three-room Residence suites complete with private bathroom, bedroom and living room.
Further Reading: The Ultimate Guide to the Etihad A380 Residence
Meanwhile, the Al Fursan demonstration team has a fleet of seven Italian-built Aermacchi MB-339NAT aircraft. All seven were used in the F1 airshow, trailing white, green, blue and red colored smoke to represent the colors of the UAE and Abu Dhabi. The Al Fursan team flew in a V formation below and behind the A380, creating the appearance that the four-engine jumbo jet was the one leaving behind the colored smoke trails.
This is not the first time that Etihad has lent its aircraft to promote local events. In addition to airshows before previous Grand Prix races, an Etihad A380 also participated in a promotional video for the Louvre Abu Dhabi, when it opened in the winter of 2017 after extended delays.
Etihad only has 10 A380s in its fleet, but the small size of Abu Dhabi and the short nature of these flights made it possible to spare the aircraft.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.