Etihad aircraft perform stunning flyover of the F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sunday, Lewis Hamilton won a decisive victory in the 10th annual Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, held at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. But before the festivities commenced, spectators were treated to a wonderful airshow featuring a number of Etihad aircraft as well as Al Fursan, the aerobatic demonstration team of the UAE Air Force.
Etihad included two aircraft in the show, a Boeing 787-9 and an Airbus A380. These are Etihad’s most luxurious jets, featuring (on select 787s) Etihad’s newest first class suites and on the A380, the spacious first class apartments, as well as the three-room Residence suites complete with private bathroom, bedroom and living room.
Further Reading: The Ultimate Guide to the Etihad A380 Residence
Meanwhile, the Al Fursan demonstration team has a fleet of seven Italian-built Aermacchi MB-339NAT aircraft. All seven were used in the F1 airshow, trailing white, green, blue and red colored smoke to represent the colors of the UAE and Abu Dhabi. The Al Fursan team flew in a V formation below and behind the A380, creating the appearance that the four-engine jumbo jet was the one leaving behind the colored smoke trails.
This is not the first time that Etihad has lent its aircraft to promote local events. In addition to airshows before previous Grand Prix races, an Etihad A380 also participated in a promotional video for the Louvre Abu Dhabi, when it opened in the winter of 2017 after extended delays.
Etihad only has 10 A380s in its fleet, but the small size of Abu Dhabi and the short nature of these flights made it possible to spare the aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees