Would You Spend $700 to Stay at a Hotel Run by a Fitness Center? Equinox Is Betting Yes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
It’s not fitness — it’s hospitality.
Reservations are open at the world’s first Equinox Hotel, which will launch in New York City’s flashy new Hudson Yards neighborhood on July 15.
Equinox’s expansion into the travel space has been rapid. Last September, Equinox rolled out “day trips” from the brand’s hometown in New York City. A month later, the fitness brand comprising Equinox gyms, SoulCycle and PURE Yoga expanded its footprint in luxury travel by announcing multi-day, wellness-focused journeys.
Now, Equinox is signaling its permanent commitment to travel and hospitality by cutting the ribbon at its debut hotel on Manhattan’s far west side.
A veritable temple to health and wellness, the hotel is anchored by a 60,000-square-foot Equinox fitness center and E by Equinox — the brand’s even more exclusive club. During their stay, hotel guests get access to all the signature experiences and facilities. Think: A 25-yard saltwater pool, hot and cold plunge pools, a SoulCycle studio and fitness classes on the iconic Vessel. (I recently previewed the so-called Equinox Vessel Run and spent an hour sprinting up and down the public sculpture’s 2,500 steps, with speed drills and plyometrics thrown in just for fun.)
All 212 guest rooms and suites are dark and moody, designed to promote sleep and relaxation above all else. There are all-natural mattresses, and widow treatments that completely blackout and soundproof the space.
Other just-announced details include a restaurant and bar concept, Electric Lemon, from restaurateur Stephen Starr, the highlight of which is an 8,000-square-foot terrace overlooking Manhattan.
Standard city-view rooms start around $700 a night — a rate comparable to base rooms at such established luxury properties as The Peninsula New York and Four Seasons Hotel New York Downtown. For that price, you could also pay for three months of an Equinox All-Access membership, which, sadly and somewhat deceptively, does not include access to the hotel’s club.
Fortunately, Equinox Hotel is replete with grand opening offers. Book with a Virtuoso travel advisor, for example, and you’ll receive an upgrade at booking, early check-in and late checkout (by availability); daily continental breakfast for two; and a $100 hotel credit. Select Equinox Suite guests will also receive private helicopter airport transfers for stays of two nights or more. Until Dec. 31, Virtuoso guests can also add a $100 spa credit, a complimentary personal training session or two SoulCycle classes to their reservation.
Club members can also select one of these perks for stays booked directly through Equinox Hotels (a personal training session, a spa treatment or a SoulCycle class) by Dec. 31. Equinox members are also promised “best-of-the-best” rates and early check-in and late check-out. But as an Equinox member, my personal favorite benefit is complimentary daily gym clothes laundering.
At this time, Equinox Hotels does not offer any loyalty program beyond perks for existing club members, nor is it a member of the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program — so you’ll want to charge your stay to a card such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, which will earn you 3x or 2x, respectively. Another option? Equinox Hotel is currently listed on Hotels.com, so you can book with your Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card at Hotels.com to earn 10x miles on your stay (ends Jan. 31, 2020). (You can also take advantage of the Hotels.com Rewards program to earn one free night for every 10 paid nights, effectively boosting your return to 20% when you pay with the Venture card.)
And though the Equinox Hotel in New York City is still weeks away from its ribbon-cutting, the brand’s ambitious expansion plans are well underway. An Equinox Hotel in Seattle is supposed to follow later this year, with properties in Houston, Los Angeles and Chicago already in development.
All photos courtesy of Equinox Hotels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees