El Al suspends all flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
El Al’s troubles continue, and it’s increasingly unclear if the Israeli airline is going to survive the coronavirus pandemic.
The carrier had already all but suspended service through the end of July, but it still planned to operate a few special passenger and cargo flights this month.
However, Israeli media reported July 1 that talks between the airline’s management and its pilots unions had stalled, leading the company’s executives to recall all airplanes to their bases.
El Al slashed much of its workforce and took other drastic measures to stay afloat amid the coronavirus demand slump, but the airline’s financial situation remains precarious.
“The company cannot continue to hemorrhage,” Avi Edri, chairperson of the transport workers union at the General Federation of Labor in Israel told Globes. “The company has an obligation to minimize damage to itself, and as part of that, to its employees. So on the one hand it’s tough to see activity being reduced, but on the other, if the airline is losing money, it’s better to halt activity and wait for better times.”
El Al has been in talks with the Israeli government for a bailout, but it still needs its employees and unions to agree to whatever deal is ultimately reached.
Additional reporting by Edward Russell.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.