Another airline retires the 747: El Al announces final flight in November
El Al Israel Airlines is gearing up to retire the last of its Boeing 747s. In the airline’s schedule update, the flag carrier of Israel detailed plans to retire the last of its 747s in early November.
As reported by RoutesOnline, the final El Al 747 is scheduled to operate between Rome (FCO) and Tel Aviv (TLV). The outbound TLV-FCO leg will depart on Nov. 1, before returning to TLV — and retiring — on Nov. 3.
The flights, which will be charter flights, will operate on the following schedule:
- LY1744 Tel Aviv (TLV) 8:05 a.m. Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 10:30 a.m. Arrival — Nov. 1
- LY1747 Rome (FCO) 10:00 a.m. Departure ⇒ Tel Aviv (TLV) 3:45 p.m. Arrival — Nov. 3
Neither of the aircraft’s final flights are available to book on El Al’s website. Currently, El Al has only two 747s operating in its fleet, registered as 4X-ELA and 4X-ELC, which are 25 years and 24 years old, respectively, according to PlaneSpotters.net. 4X-ELC will be the final 747 flying with El Al.
El Al’s four-engine 747s will be replaced by the newer and more fuel-efficient twin-engine Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners. The carrier took delivery of its first Dreamliner in August 2017, and since then, it’s taken delivery of an additional 11 of the aircraft, which feature a three-class configuration: business, premium and economy.
The hard products on the Dreamliner represent a significant improvement over the aged 747s. TPG himself flew El Al’s first class product on the 747 earlier this year and found the vintage plane experience a pro, but the otherwise outdated experience (and bad food) to be a con. You can watch his full review below.
Featured photo by Jack Guez/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.