Another airline retires the 747: El Al announces final flight in November
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
El Al Israel Airlines is gearing up to retire the last of its Boeing 747s. In the airline’s schedule update, the flag carrier of Israel detailed plans to retire the last of its 747s in early November.
As reported by RoutesOnline, the final El Al 747 is scheduled to operate between Rome (FCO) and Tel Aviv (TLV). The outbound TLV-FCO leg will depart on Nov. 1, before returning to TLV — and retiring — on Nov. 3.
The flights, which will be charter flights, will operate on the following schedule:
- LY1744 Tel Aviv (TLV) 8:05 a.m. Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 10:30 a.m. Arrival — Nov. 1
- LY1747 Rome (FCO) 10:00 a.m. Departure ⇒ Tel Aviv (TLV) 3:45 p.m. Arrival — Nov. 3
Neither of the aircraft’s final flights are available to book on El Al’s website. Currently, El Al has only two 747s operating in its fleet, registered as 4X-ELA and 4X-ELC, which are 25 years and 24 years old, respectively, according to PlaneSpotters.net. 4X-ELC will be the final 747 flying with El Al.
El Al’s four-engine 747s will be replaced by the newer and more fuel-efficient twin-engine Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners. The carrier took delivery of its first Dreamliner in August 2017, and since then, it’s taken delivery of an additional 11 of the aircraft, which feature a three-class configuration: business, premium and economy.
The hard products on the Dreamliner represent a significant improvement over the aged 747s. TPG himself flew El Al’s first class product on the 747 earlier this year and found the vintage plane experience a pro, but the otherwise outdated experience (and bad food) to be a con. You can watch his full review below.
Featured photo by Jack Guez/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees