El Al Unveils 1960s-Inspired Retro Livery on Its Newest 787
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Israel’s flag carrier El Al has had a lot to celebrate in recent months. In October 2017, it launched service of its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft, in January it announced that it’ll launch nonstop flights between Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco (SFO) and in July it began offering free high-speed Wi-Fi on board. Above all, the airline is turning 70 in September. And to celebrate, it’s going retro.
In honor of the anniversary, El Al painted its newest Dreamliner with the same livery its Boeing 707s had in the 1960s. This is the airline’s first special livery of the type since switching to its current livery in 1999.
The plane, registered 4X-EDF, is still at Boeing’s Everett factory in Washington and is expected to be delivered to El Al in August. As with El Al’s other planes, it will be named after an Israeli city — in this case, Rehovot, a city located just south of Tel Aviv. This will be El Al’s sixth Dreamliner in its fleet.
Although it may sport a classic livery, the 787-9 is the most modern aircraft in El Al’s all-Boeing fleet. And rest assured, the interior of the aircraft will match that of other Dreamliners in the carrier’s fleet. The 787-9s feature 282 seats in a comfortable three-class configuration: business, premium economy and economy. The new planes are being used to replace now-outdated 747 and 767 aircraft on El Al’s medium- and long-range destinations, such as New York, Boston, Toronto, Beijing, Mumbai, Johannesburg and others. They will also be used to operate the carrier’s new flight to San Francisco.
This isn’t the first time an airline has painted its plane with a retro design. Stay tuned for a complete round-up of all the planes currently in the skies with older liveries.
All photos by Timothy Stake / Boeing unless otherwise noted.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees