Egyptair’s New 787 Business Class Seat Should Be Huge Upgrade Over Its Old Product
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Angled flat seats in business are becoming more of a novelty than a normality. One of the carriers that still has this product in its premium cabin is EgyptAir, which currently has a long-haul fleet of eight Boeing 777s and 10 Airbus A330s.
The airline ordered six Boeing 787 Dreamliners in 2017 to replace the aging aircraft. The new birds will soon come into service this year and Routes Online has found that it will feature a new business class product.
After taking delivery of its first 787 in March, EgyptAir will first operate the aircraft three times a week between Toronto (YYZ) and Cairo (CAI) starting Oct. 3. The seat map that was loaded into the schedule shows a new configuration in business class, featuring 30 seats in a 1-2-1 layout — suggesting that EgyptAir will install lie-flat seats on the 787s.
This is a huge improvement over EgyptAir’s 777 business product, which is laid out in a 2-3-2 configuration with dated angle-flat seats. TPG himself reviewed it and didn’t have the best things to say, other than the fact that it’s the only carrier that flies nonstop between the US and Egypt. Unlike the 777, all seats on the new 787 will have direct aisle access. The 270 coach seats will be arranged in the traditional 3-3-3 layout — making for a capacity of 270 in the economy cabin and 300 passengers overall.
While we don’t know yet what seat EgyptAir will use, One Mile At a Time points out that like many other airline’s 787s, which feature 30 seats in their business class cabin, we’ll likely see a reverse herringbone seat similar to Air Canada’s or American’s Dreamliners.
EgyptAir is part of the Star Alliance, and you can use United miles (a Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partner) or Avianca Lifemiles (a Citi ThankYou and Amex Membership Rewards partner) to book awards seats on the carrier. A one-way business class award from New York to Cairo would run you 80,000 United miles or 78,000 Lifemiles, and fortunately both rewards programs don’t impose heavy fuel surcharges on EgyptAir flights.
Featured image by Konstantin von Wedelstaed / Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees