Earn Double Miles on Alaska Transcon Flights Through End of 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines has just announced a fantastic new promotion that can get its flyers big sums of miles through the end of the year. Starting Monday, Alaska Mileage Plan members can earn double miles on select nonstop flights between the East and West Coast.
All you have to do is register for the promotion here before taking your first flight. It appears that even if you’ve already purchased a flight on an eligible route but register before departure, you’ll still earn double miles. There’s no limit to the amount of miles you can earn, any fare class is eligible, and the promo applies on all flights through the end of 2019. Note that the promotion only applies to redeemable miles, and doesn’t count towards elite status.
What makes this promotion so enticing is that Alaska, unlike most other US carriers, still offers awards based on distance flown and not based on the cost of the ticket. For instance, you’d normally earn 5,172 miles on a round-trip flight between New York (JFK ) and San Francisco (SFO). But with this promotion, you’ll end up with 10,344 miles — and that’s not including any elite bonus. Those 10,344 miles are worth $186 according to TPG’s valuations!
You can pretty consistently get Alaska transcon fares for less than $250 round-trip, meaning the value of the miles you’d be earning is close to the actual price of the ticket!
Alaska miles are worth more than any other airline’s mileage currency according to TPG’s valuations because of their great redemption value with Alaska’s many partners. You can fly from the US to Asia in Cathay Pacific Business Class for 50,000 miles one-way or Cathay’s incredible first class for 70,000 miles one-way. Want to fly to South America in LATAM’s greatly improved new business class? That’ll run you just 45,000 Alaska miles. Japan on your bucket list? Flying to the country in Japan Airlines’ Business or First costs just 60,000 or 70,000 miles, respectively.
You can earn double miles when departing on many of the airlines’ transcon routes. The promotion is eligible on West Coast departures between:
- Los Angeles (LAX) and Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington-Dulles (IAD), or Washington-Reagan (DCA)
- San Diego (SAN) and Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR), or Orlando (MCO)
- San Francisco (SFO) and Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Raleigh (RDU), Washington-Dulles (IAD), or Washington-Reagan (DCA)
- San Jose (SJC) and New York (JFK) or Newark (EWR)
Eligible on East Coast departures between:
- New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), or San Jose (SJC)
- Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX), San Diego (SAN), San Francisco (SFO), or San Jose (SJC)
- Baltimore (BWI) and Los Angeles (LAX), San Diego (SAN), or San Francisco (SFO)
- Boston (BOS) and Los Angeles (LAX), San Diego (SAN), or San Francisco (SFO)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)
- Orlando (MCO) and San Diego (SAN) or San Francisco (SFO)
- Philadelphia (PHL) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)
- Raleigh (RDU) and San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington-Dulles (IAD) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington-Reagan (DCA) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)
This deal could make going for Alaska elite status even more attractive. On many transcon routes you’ll need to complete just four round-trip flights to earn Alaska MVP status since it requires 20,000 miles flown in a calendar year. However, Alaska has a separate “Coast to Elite” challenge where you can earn MVP status with just two round-trip transcon flights completed before May 31, 2019. Many of the same routes that are apart of Double miles promo overlap with the status challenge, meaning this deal is potentially stackable. Just make sure to check this post to see if routes you’re interested in overlap.
If you want to earn even more Alaska miles in the process, you can get 3x miles on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card. New cardholders will earn 50,000 bonus miles and Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $2,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.
Don’t have an Alaska card? Make sure you’re purchasing tickets with a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Airlines.
Updated on 9/08/21
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees