Earn bonus points in 2021 with these new hotel promotions
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Even though 2021 is still a few days away, hotel chains are looking to the new year already with a round of promotions that will allow you to start the year off strong and with bonus points in your "pocket."
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Hilton has just shared the details of its latest promotion, "Points Unlimited" and Marriott is running a targeted "More Points Ahead" promotion with different bonuses and terms designed for each member.
Let's take a look at what you can earn.
Hilton's "Points Unlimited" Promo
Beginning Jan. 1, 2021, Hilton Honors members can earn 2,000 bonus points for each stay and an additional 5,000 bonus points every five nights. And, as the name of the promotion would suggest, there's no cap on the number of points you can earn with this promo, so if you have a lot of Hilton stays coming up, you could add significantly to your points balance.
You can register now for this promotion, and it runs through May 2, 2021.
More ways to earn Hilton points
There are plenty of ways to boost your points without even staying in a hotel. The easiest way to do so is through welcome bonuses and spending on Hilton cobranded credit cards (terms apply). Here's a look at what you can earn right now:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the card in the first three months of card membership. Read our review of this card here.
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card: Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the card in the first three months of card membership. Read our review of this card here.
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card: Free night reward offer: Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors bonus points plus a free night reward after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the card in the first three months of card membership. Read our review of this card here.
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card: 150,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of opening your account. Read our review of this card here.
The information for the Hilton Aspire card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Marriott's "More Points Ahead" promo
If you're a Marriott Bonvoy member, check your account's "promotions" tab for details of a bonus-points promotion you may be eligible for.
I was targeted to earn up to 22,500 points after two paid stays between now and Feb. 28, 2021. I can earn 7,500 bonus points after the first stay and 15,000 bonus points after the second.
We surveyed TPG staffers who were also targeted, and two others got the same promotion offer as I did, but one had a different expiration date. Others got offers for up to 18,000 points after stays that include weekend nights, and one received an offer for double points on two-night paid stays.
While your offer may be different than the ones listed above, it's worth checking to see if you've been targeted, and of course registering if you have travel coming up in early 2021.
More ways to earn Marriott points
If you're looking to add to your Bonvoy point balance in a big way in 2021, the easiest way to do so is applying for a Marriott cobranded credit card and then putting spend on that card. Here's a look at current welcome bonuses for Marriott cards:
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card: Earn 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership.
- Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Read our review of this card here.
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card: Earn three free nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first three months from account opening. Read our review of this card here.
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card: Earn 30,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in your first three months from account opening. Read our review of this card here.
Now's a great time to take advantage of bonus-point promotions from hotel chains hoping to bring guests back to their properties. If you plan on staying in hotels next year, be sure to check on and register for any promotions you may have across your loyalty accounts so you don't leave points on the table after your next stay.