The Time Dubai Airport Found a $150,000 Diamond Ring in the Trash and Returned It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s not unusual to find loose change or even a lost cell phone in the bathroom on a plane after a flight, but it’s hard to top a $150,000 diamond ring in the trash.
That’s exactly what the police at Dubai Airport say they found in one of the airport’s most memorable lost-and-found cases, and the story even gets a happy ending, because the woman who lost the ring got it back.
The unlucky (or incredibly lucky) passenger had come off an Emirates plane from Bangkok (BKK) and was due to catch a flight to Nice (NCE) on March 20, 2014, when she realized her ring was missing. As a business-class passengers, one of the amenities she received was a small pouch. She decided to put the ring in it temporarily, but accidentally left it behind when she disembarked.
“This kind of pouch usually isn’t handed to the lost-and-found office because it belongs to Emirates,” an airport police spokesman said in an email. “The cleaner on the plane disposed of the pouch in the garbage, thinking it was of no use anymore.”
By the time the passenger realized what she’d left in the discarded pouch, the ring was already in a trash bin somewhere.
“She had lost hope and didn’t think she would ever have her ring back,” police said.
But as soon as she filed a claim with lost and found, they contacted the cleaning department and police. Meanwhile, the passenger had to leave for her connecting flight to France immediately.
“Dubai police staff went to the plane, then to the garbage area, and started searching with the help of the cleaners and their supervisor,” the police spokesman said.
They found the pouch and the ring and ran over to the police checkpoint nearest the gate with the flight to Nice. They stopped the passenger and gave her back her ring before she caught her plane to Europe.
“She was very happy and amazed,” the spokesman said.
Dubai airport has returned other memorable items to their owners through the years, he added.
“Due to the huge number of passengers traveling through Dubai Airport, people often lose their belongings, varying from expensive items to cheap ones to those that carry sentimental value,” he said.
Other pricey finds reunited with owners include: 10 ounces of gold, 334,000 UAE dirhams in cash (about $91,000), and an even more expensive bespoke diamond ring by celebrity jeweler Lorraine Schwartz worth $500,000.
Featured image (of Meghan Markle’s wedding ring) by Chris Jackson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees