The Time Dubai Airport Found a $150,000 Diamond Ring in the Trash and Returned It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s not unusual to find loose change or even a lost cell phone in the bathroom on a plane after a flight, but it’s hard to top a $150,000 diamond ring in the trash.
That’s exactly what the police at Dubai Airport say they found in one of the airport’s most memorable lost-and-found cases, and the story even gets a happy ending, because the woman who lost the ring got it back.
The unlucky (or incredibly lucky) passenger had come off an Emirates plane from Bangkok (BKK) and was due to catch a flight to Nice (NCE) on March 20, 2014, when she realized her ring was missing. As a business-class passengers, one of the amenities she received was a small pouch. She decided to put the ring in it temporarily, but accidentally left it behind when she disembarked.
“This kind of pouch usually isn’t handed to the lost-and-found office because it belongs to Emirates,” an airport police spokesman said in an email. “The cleaner on the plane disposed of the pouch in the garbage, thinking it was of no use anymore.”
By the time the passenger realized what she’d left in the discarded pouch, the ring was already in a trash bin somewhere.
“She had lost hope and didn’t think she would ever have her ring back,” police said.
But as soon as she filed a claim with lost and found, they contacted the cleaning department and police. Meanwhile, the passenger had to leave for her connecting flight to France immediately.
“Dubai police staff went to the plane, then to the garbage area, and started searching with the help of the cleaners and their supervisor,” the police spokesman said.
They found the pouch and the ring and ran over to the police checkpoint nearest the gate with the flight to Nice. They stopped the passenger and gave her back her ring before she caught her plane to Europe.
“She was very happy and amazed,” the spokesman said.
Dubai airport has returned other memorable items to their owners through the years, he added.
“Due to the huge number of passengers traveling through Dubai Airport, people often lose their belongings, varying from expensive items to cheap ones to those that carry sentimental value,” he said.
Other pricey finds reunited with owners include: 10 ounces of gold, 334,000 UAE dirhams in cash (about $91,000), and an even more expensive bespoke diamond ring by celebrity jeweler Lorraine Schwartz worth $500,000.
Featured image (of Meghan Markle’s wedding ring) by Chris Jackson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.