Get Your $275 Ready for the Umbrella Drone, Taking off in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Meet the Free Parasol, the brainchild of Japanese company Asahi Power Service. According to Gizmodo, this traveler-friendly hybrid uses a camera to follow you around town, protecting both the device and its owner from the elements above — both rain and sun.
The current prototype is about 11 pounds and has a flight time of around 20 minutes. However, the company has plans to make it two pounds lighter and extend flight time to at least one hour.
It’ll be interesting to see how cities restrict a so-called autonomous umbrella, if local governments decide to allow their use at all. CNET reports that Asahi initially plans to market the umbrella directly to venues that own land, which may help skirt area laws — such as gold courses.
Of course since this particular drone is only effective when hovering directly over your head, it shouldn’t be a threat to aircraft. That said, you’ll probably want to load it into your bag long before you pull up to JFK.
The Free Parasol is expected to ship as soon as 2019, with a projected price tag of $275 — a figure that’s sure to take a big bite out of anyone’s rainwear budget.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.