This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Meet the Free Parasol, the brainchild of Japanese company Asahi Power Service. According to Gizmodo, this traveler-friendly hybrid uses a camera to follow you around town, protecting both the device and its owner from the elements above — both rain and sun.
The current prototype is about 11 pounds and has a flight time of around 20 minutes. However, the company has plans to make it two pounds lighter and extend flight time to at least one hour.
It’ll be interesting to see how cities restrict a so-called autonomous umbrella, if local governments decide to allow their use at all. CNET reports that Asahi initially plans to market the umbrella directly to venues that own land, which may help skirt area laws — such as gold courses.
Of course since this particular drone is only effective when hovering directly over your head, it shouldn’t be a threat to aircraft. That said, you’ll probably want to load it into your bag long before you pull up to JFK.
The Free Parasol is expected to ship as soon as 2019, with a projected price tag of $275 — a figure that’s sure to take a big bite out of anyone’s rainwear budget.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards