Get Your $275 Ready for the Umbrella Drone, Taking off in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Meet the Free Parasol, the brainchild of Japanese company Asahi Power Service. According to Gizmodo, this traveler-friendly hybrid uses a camera to follow you around town, protecting both the device and its owner from the elements above — both rain and sun.
The current prototype is about 11 pounds and has a flight time of around 20 minutes. However, the company has plans to make it two pounds lighter and extend flight time to at least one hour.
It’ll be interesting to see how cities restrict a so-called autonomous umbrella, if local governments decide to allow their use at all. CNET reports that Asahi initially plans to market the umbrella directly to venues that own land, which may help skirt area laws — such as gold courses.
Of course since this particular drone is only effective when hovering directly over your head, it shouldn’t be a threat to aircraft. That said, you’ll probably want to load it into your bag long before you pull up to JFK.
The Free Parasol is expected to ship as soon as 2019, with a projected price tag of $275 — a figure that’s sure to take a big bite out of anyone’s rainwear budget.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.