DOT will distribute almost 100 million face masks across the transportation sector
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Department of Transportation will distribute around 100 million cloth face masks to travelers and employees across the aviation, transit and passenger rail industries. The agency announced the move in a press release on Friday.
DOT’s campaign comes as amid growing calls across the transportation sector for the department to institute a universal federal policy that would require passengers to wear masks while traveling. The department has resisted those calls so far, preferring to allow individual companies and operators to institute their own policies.
The DOT said that distributing cloth masks will help make travelers feel safer, and will encourage people to resume travel this summer.
“This Administration is committed to protecting our people and reopening the economy; distributing these facial coverings will help boost public confidence as we begin to resume our normal lives,” DOT secretary Elaine L. Chao said in a statement.
Demand for travel has reached historic lows as a result of restrictive stay-at-home orders across the country, coupled with a public that fears contracting the deadly COVID-19 virus. The stay-at-home orders are beginning to lift, but travel numbers have been slow to recover.
While distributing 100 million masks may sound like a huge effort, the DOT said in its own announcement that the program is meant to be limited.
“Passengers are still responsible for having their own facial covering per existing guidance from airlines, airports, transit agencies, and passenger rail authorities. The cloth facial coverings announced today are intended to be supplemental. Availability at these locations is not guaranteed,” the press release said.
In the absence of a federal rule or a comprehensive mask distribution program, airlines and other travel companies have taken it upon themselves to provide PPE to their customers, and attempt as much as possible to enforce their own public health policies.
Featured photo by Paul Hennessy/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees