Support homeless LGBTQ youth and I will match your donation up to $50,000
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 06/29/2020: It’s still Pride Month! We’ve raised almost $12,000 from over 130 people so far for the Ali Forney Center to help homeless LGBTQ youth, and there’s still time to donate. Click here to donate and I will personally match your donations up to $50,000.
I am a proudly gay entrepreneur who has been fortunate enough to start and grow a successful business. And I’ve had the support of my family and the business community along the way. But, this is not the experience for all LGBTQ people. The community has seen a lot of progress — including marriage equality — but there is still much work to be done, especially for LGBTQ homeless youth.
To honor and celebrate this year’s Pride Month, TPG is teaming up with the Ali Forney Center to raise funds (I will personally match donations up to $50,000) and awareness for our homeless LGBTQ youth community. The center provides emergency and transitional housing, on-site medical support, mental health and substance abuse services, and education and employment to homeless LGBTQ youth — 90% of whom identify as people of color.
The Ali Forney Center has a proven track record of success: More than 80% of young people who complete its programs exit to stable housing.
In New York City alone, there are nearly 4,000 homeless young people, and nearly half of them identify as LGBTQ. Sadly, the COVID-19 pandemic has only made it more difficult for these young people to get back on their feet.
Called to action
I’ve heard a lot of people say that Pride Month this year is canceled — whether because of COVID-19 or the Black Lives Matter protests. I don’t view it that way, however.
The LGBTQ movement came to life through the Stonewall Riots of 1969, which were organized by Black trans activists — a perfect example of the way the struggles of the LGBTQ community and people of color intersect.
So while it’s true that you likely won’t see a big, colorful parade with corporate sponsors in your city this year, I still urge everyone, especially those of us who are part of the LGBTQ community, to think differently this Pride Month.
Youth homelessness is an already dire but steadily worsening problem for the LGBTQ community. Making it even more troubling is the fact that more than 90% of these people are people of color.
This is exactly why I’m highlighting — and asking for your help in supporting — this incredible organization and its cause this Pride Month.
How we’re giving back
2020 has been an especially painful year for the black community. Young LGBTQ people of color have endured compounding problems that have been amplified among all of the other strife the country has experienced in recent months.
But I’m hopeful that the good work that organizations like the Ali Forney Center are doing will really change lives and make an impact in these communities.
We’ve set up a GoFundMe fundraiser to support AFC and I am personally matching dollar for dollar up to $50,000. This fundraiser, and supporting the amazing work that the center is doing, is a great way to support both the LGBTQ and black communities and hopefully level the playing field a little bit more for the marginalized people of our nation.
As we think about racial inequality and LGBTQ discrimination, this organization is at the center of this fight and is one that’s truly saving lives in some of the most-at-risk populations.
Thank you for joining me in supporting this very worthy cause.
Featured photo courtesy of the Ali Forney Center.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees