Disney Cruise Line to add second Florida homeport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move that might shock Disney Cruise Line fans, the line on Tuesday celebrated an agreement with Port Everglades, cementing a spot for a Disney ship to base itself at the Fort Lauderdale port year-round, beginning in fall 2023.
The 15-year Port Everglades agreement also makes room for a second DCL ship to homeport there seasonally, beginning in 2025, according to a statement from the cruise line.
“All we need is a little pixie dust to transform Terminal 4,” said Jonathan Daniels, Port Everglades’ chief executive and port director.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
“Disney is a big name that will bring big business to Broward County,” added Broward County Mayor Michael Udine. “We welcome everyone under the sun, and Disney Cruise Line is an excellent fit for our inclusive, family-friendly destination.”
It’s not immediately clear which ship will call Port Everglades home, but what makes this agreement interesting is that Disney is a brand stalwartly associated with all things Orlando. For years, the line based its ships in Port Canaveral, just an hour away from Disney World. (Disney is the only cruise line with its own dedicated terminal at Port Canaveral. Both the line and the port have invested significantly in renovating Terminal 8 in a project that has been ongoing since 2019.)
The diversification of Disney Cruise Line’s homeport options comes as the line plans to expand its fleet with the debut of Disney Wish in summer 2022. It will be the brand’s first new ship in 10 years, featuring a “Star Wars”-themed lounge, interactive “Frozen” and Marvel dining, and a waterslide that will serve as the first official Disney attraction at sea.
Disney also has two more ships on order, set to be delivered in 2024 and 2025. Neither has been named yet, but both will be sister vessels to Disney Wish. With the addition of the three new ships, the fleet size will nearly double, increasing from four vessels to seven.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 5 best cruise lines for families
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured photo courtesy of Disney Cruise Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees