Discover Deals Shopping Portal Is Closing This Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Discover Deals is no longer available as of November 1, 2018.
This page includes information about Discover cards that are not currently available on The Points Guy and may be out of date.
Looks like price protection isn’t the only Discover Card perk that’s expiring on Halloween. Cardmembers who log in today to take advantage of the issuer’s cash back shopping portal are greeted by the following message: “Discover Deals will end October 31, 2018. We’re retiring the program to focus on simpler and more meaningful ways to earn and redeem rewards. Any pending rewards will be added to your account as usual.” TPG reader Casey K. tipped us on the closure, and I’ve confirmed via my own Discover account.
This is just the latest bummer for Discover cardholders. In February, Discover completely axed its Extended Product Warranty, Return Guarantee, Purchase Protection, Auto Rental Insurance and Flight Accident Insurance perks from all of its cards. With nearly 100 partner merchants, the Discover Deals shopping portal was a go-to for anyone looking to grab a bit of cash back from a purchase that would otherwise count as non-bonus spend. Discover was also one of the only issuers to enable cash back on Apple purchases.
Discover still offers quarterly bonuses, much like those offered on the Chase Freedom, but the expiration of Discover Deals is a big blow in terms of overall value for holding one of Discover’s cards. It’s unclear what exactly the “simpler and more meaningful ways to earn and redeem rewards” will be, but we’ll be sure to share the latest as soon as we hear.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.