Denver International Airport’s $14.5 Million Sign Goes Dark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Denver International Airport likes to do things on a grand scale, from its mountaintop-like roof to the wintertime ice skating rink it’s operated. Not to mention the airport’s massive growth plans for the coming years, looking to expand the airport with an additional 39 gates costing $1.5 billion. It’s no surprise, then, that when it comes to signage, the airport goes big as well.
Anyone flying in or out of Denver International Airpot (DEN) in the past year has surely noticed the giant LED lighting and advertising display on Pena Blvd. The sign, which was built by Panasonic, was supposed to be a key feature of the airport — not to mention show off Panasonic’s new LED lighting technology. With a price tag of $14.5 million, the display is malfunctioning only 16 months after being turned on, according to an article from the Denver Post.
The sign, which is made of LED rods programmed to smoothy switch between colors and large monitor displays to show advertising, has been a constant headache since its installation. Now, the airport has finally decided to shut down the rods until Panasonic can correct the issue. Airport spokesperson Emily Williams told the Post that, “The airport has chosen to turn off the sticks until Panasonic can fix the problems that are occurring.” The larger monitors that display messages and advertising, however, are still working.
Is this simply a case of malfunctioning technology, or could it be part of a new conspiracy theory for the airport? Only time will tell.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Denver International Airport
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.