Denver International Airport’s $14.5 Million Sign Goes Dark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Denver International Airport likes to do things on a grand scale, from its mountaintop-like roof to the wintertime ice skating rink it’s operated. Not to mention the airport’s massive growth plans for the coming years, looking to expand the airport with an additional 39 gates costing $1.5 billion. It’s no surprise, then, that when it comes to signage, the airport goes big as well.
Anyone flying in or out of Denver International Airpot (DEN) in the past year has surely noticed the giant LED lighting and advertising display on Pena Blvd. The sign, which was built by Panasonic, was supposed to be a key feature of the airport — not to mention show off Panasonic’s new LED lighting technology. With a price tag of $14.5 million, the display is malfunctioning only 16 months after being turned on, according to an article from the Denver Post.
The sign, which is made of LED rods programmed to smoothy switch between colors and large monitor displays to show advertising, has been a constant headache since its installation. Now, the airport has finally decided to shut down the rods until Panasonic can correct the issue. Airport spokesperson Emily Williams told the Post that, “The airport has chosen to turn off the sticks until Panasonic can fix the problems that are occurring.” The larger monitors that display messages and advertising, however, are still working.
Is this simply a case of malfunctioning technology, or could it be part of a new conspiracy theory for the airport? Only time will tell.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Denver International Airport
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees