Delta’s A330neo Enters Service Early
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re flying Delta Air Lines flight 589 from Seattle to Shanghai tomorrow, July 10, you’re going to be treated to a surprise: the airline’s newest aircraft.
According to a tip from a TPG reader, confirmed by Delta, the Airbus A330-900neo will begin operating on the route ahead of schedule.
Delta’s A330-900s were originally scheduled to enter service on July 1, but the airline announced in May that its inaugural flight would be pushed back to July 15. However, Delta was able to bring the new aircraft online earlier than planned.
“The decision was made because our new A330-900neos are ready for revenue service and this frees up additional widebody aircraft availability to reinforce our busy summer operation,” Morgan Durrant, a Delta spokesman, said in an email. He added that the planes would continue serving the route going forward.
Delta’s A330-900s have Delta One suites, Delta Premium Select premium economy, and memory-foam cushions throughout the cabin and wireless entertainment system at every seat. The airline has 35 of the planes on order, and although they carry the same number of passengers as its current A330-300s, more efficient engines mean the -900s have a greater range. “Neo” stands for “new engine option,” and that’s the main difference between the current A330s and the neo series: bigger, less fuel-thirsty Rolls Royce engines.
Featured photo courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees