Delta, United to double China flights under new US-Sino accord
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Both carriers can fly up to four round-trips per week between the two countries under the new agreement, according to U.S. authorities. Chinese airlines are also able to fly a combined total of eight weekly flights among them.
Delta plans to to double its services to Shanghai Pudong (PVG) from both Detroit (DTW) and Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) to twice weekly, spokesperson Morgan Durrant told TPG. Flights will continue to stop at Seoul Incheon (ICN) to switch crews with the additional frequencies beginning on Aug. 24.
United will double service between San Francisco (SFO) and Shanghai to four-times a week, the Star Alliance carrier said. The flights also stop in Seoul with the added frequencies starting on Sept. 4.
Air China, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines and Xiamen Airlines are the only Chinese carriers flying to the U.S. in August, according to Cirium schedules. China has not indicated how it will divvy up the four additional weekly flights among its airlines.
Travel to China remains restricted. Foreigners are not allowed to enter the country except for a limited number of nationals from select nearby Asian countries, including South Korea.
U.S. airlines have reported carrying a significant amount of cargo on long-haul flights, including those to China. Executives at United have said that freight demand is driving much of its international flying more than passenger demand.
Even with the additional frequencies, air service between China and the U.S. remains far below the up to 52 daily flights airlines flew before the coronavirus pandemic. Carriers slashed schedules in January and February in an early effort to stop the spread of COVID-19, and the Chinese government has severely restricted international flights since March.
Featured image by GREG BAKER/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees