Delta is donating 200,000 pounds of Sky Club food for coronavirus relief
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, the last thing you should have to worry about is how and what you’re going to eat. Well, Delta Air Lines says it has a lot of food — 200,000 pounds worth — that it is giving away.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Delta says it has food to give away to hospitals, community food banks and other organizations around the world that are tirelessly working to combat the coronavirus. It will donate perishable and non-perishable items from onboard service and unused food from its Sky Club lounges. The airline says it will identify organizations around the world to donate to.
Delta says it donated prepackaged snacks to hospitals and healthcare workers in Nice, France’s fifth-largest city. The airline also partnered with caterer SodexoMAGIC to donate over 500 pounds of food from the Delta Sky Club at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) to a local food bank.
Other Sky Club lounges, including those in Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK and LGA) are also providing food donations to first responders, local charities and churches. Delta previously announced that it would close the majority of its Sky Clubs due to decreased demand from the coronavirus crisis.
Already Delta said it would offer free flights to medical volunteers going to help in certain heavily-affected areas of the country and begin to manufacture face shields to protect hospital workers.
Other companies in the travel space have also found ways to give back or show support.
Vail Resorts has donated in excess of 50,000 pounds of food to 30 local food banks, schools and community organizations in the communities in which Vail Resorts has properties. London’s Kimpton Fitzroy hotel is giving complimentary breakfast or lunch at its restaurant Burr & Co. London to National Health Service (NHS) workers, emergency services teams, service industry employees and local residents.
Uber says it has provided 300,000 free meals to first responders and rides to health care workers. The ride-hailing app also partnered with Feeding America and its nationwide network of food banks to deliver meals. Uber also added an in-app feature that allows users to donate to local restaurants.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees