Delta app upgrade includes test of security wait times; meal selection to come
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines introduced a new version of its mobile app with a refreshed look that was rolled out earlier this week.
The company also announced new features like TSA wait-time indicators and auto check-in on international flights that will come online later this year.
In a press release, the airline said the app’s new color schemes would mirror the palette it uses for different classes of service on its website and on airport signage. Within the app, boarding passes and other pages would use the new colors, to help passengers more easily interpret the boarding process.
Delta said even more features would be introduced in the app later this year.
One of the items that Delta is testing for its app is a display of “integrated security wait times in select markets.”
For now, passengers flying out of New York (LGA) and Seattle (SEA) will be able to compare wait times at TSA check points on their phone, and get directions to the one with the shortest wait. The airline chose those airports for this new feature because they were the first locations with the necessary technology in place. Delta spokeswoman Savanah Huddleston said the airline is hoping to expand the program quickly.
Delta said the feature would make “it easy to compare various checkpoint times and then navigate to Sky Priority, TSA Pre-Check, CLEAR and standard TSA lines,” adding that those airports are being included as part of its “initial testing” on the feature.
Some passengers on international flights will also be eligible for automatic check-in 24 hours before their departure starting later this year. The app will prompt them with a push notification to enter or confirm their passport details before they can access their boarding pass.
Other features the airline plans to introduce later this year are an in-app pre-ordering meal option, an integrated customer service messenger for iOS and Android users, bag tracking and a carbon offsetting calculator.
Once the meal-selection function is added, Delta said that Delta One and domestic first-class customers will be able to select their meal choice “weeks in advance,” something currently available to SkyMiles members only by email.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees