Link your accounts now: Delta teams up with Instacart for mileage earning on Grocery delivery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You don’t have to leave your house to earn SkyMiles with Delta’s newest partnership.
Last week, the Atlanta-based carrier unveiled a new tie-up with Instacart, the popular online grocery-delivery service, that allows SkyMiles members to earn miles for their purchases.
Now, customers can link their SkyMiles and Instacart accounts and begin earning miles. General members will earn 1 mile per dollar spent on Instacart grocery deliveries, excluding taxes, fees and tips. Those who subscribe to Instacart’s $99-annual Express membership will enjoy an enhanced earning rate of 1.5 miles for each dollar spent on eligible orders.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Instacart will also offer SkyMiles members extended free trials for the Express membership. Diamond and Platinum Medallions can opt into a 12-month trial, while Silver and Gold elites, as well as non-status members, will enjoy a free three-month membership. After the trial, customers will be enrolled in Instcart’s standard $99 annual membership.
SkyMiles members can link their accounts to Instacart on this landing page.
In our test, SkyMiles posted immediately after the order was delivered.
TPG values SkyMiles at 1.57 cents apiece, meaning that general Instacart members will receive an effective 1.57% return on Instacart orders. That number jumps to 2.36% for Express members.
It’s ultimately a small sum, but it definitely makes sense for Instacart users to link their SkyMiles accounts.
Plus, this represents a nice double-dipping opportunity — you can continue to earn points through the credit card that you use for groceries, in addition to SkyMiles.
For instance, some of TPG’s top recommended cards earn 6 points per dollar spent on groceries, which will combine with the SkyMiles that you’ll now earn on Instacart purchases.
This is just the latest way that SkyMiles members can earn miles from everyday, non-flight purchases.
Earlier this year, the airline teamed up with Turo to offer members the ability to earn miles for qualifying car rentals. Turo, which recently announced plans to go public, uses a business model similar to Airbnb, where the general public can rent out personal vehicles.
Meanwhile, Delta continues to offer its recently expanded partnership with rideshare company Lyft, as well as its partnership with Airbnb, giving members miles for every dollar spent on eligible trips.
Featured photo by Tiffany Hagler-Geard/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees