Deal alert: JetBlue and Southwest flash sales starting at $26 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
If you’re on the hunt for winter flight deals, you’re in luck as two airlines just rolled out winter flash sales.
JetBlue and Southwest are each running flash sales throughout the continental U.S., as well as the Caribbean and Hawaii. Deals start at $26 one-way. JetBlue’s sale ends on Nov. 12, with travel taking place between Dec. 1, 2020, and Feb. 10, 2021. Note that there are numerous blackout dates from Dec. 19 to Jan. 4, 2021. Southwest’s sale runs through Nov. 12 and continental U.S. travel must take place from Dec. 1 to March 4, 2021.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Should I book travel now?
JetBlue is currently capping its jets at less than 70% of capacity through at least Dec. 1, which means an empty middle seat is no longer a guarantee. For families or friends traveling together, JetBlue will have some rows with all seats available for selection. Southwest is ending its capacity caps altogether starting Dec. 1. That means holiday travelers won’t find empty middle seats, and could potentially face completely sold out jets.
When booking your flights, pay close attention to the cancellation and rebooking policies. Many airlines now allow new tickets to be changed or canceled for no fee. If rebooking, you may need to pay a difference between the original and new fare. If you cancel, you’ll typically get flight credit that can be put toward a new reservation.
flight deals currently available
Airlines: JetBlue and Southwest
Routes: Major routes served by JetBlue and Southwest
Cost: $26+ one-way in economy class
Travel Dates: Dec. 1– Feb. 10, 2021, for JetBlue, Dec. 1 to March 4, 2021, for continental U.S. Southwest travel
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; starting Jan. 1, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here’s a look at some of the best deals you could book. This isn’t an exhaustive list, so you may be able to find deals between other cities as well.
Chicago (ORD) to Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) for $26 one-way in JetBlue Blue Basic:
Boston (BOS) to Newark (EWR) for $33 one-way in JetBlue Blue Basic:
Tampa (TPA) to Miami (MIA) for $35 one-way on Southwest:
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) to St. Maarten (SXM) for $48 one-way on JetBlue Blue Basic:
San Jose (SJC) to Maui (OGG) for $98 one-way on Southwest:
How to book
There are no tricks to find these fares. Just head to both airlines’ websites and plug in your desired departure city and destination. Then, use the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you and then click through to book.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by David Paul Morris/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees