British Airways CEO Alex Cruz Is Preparing to Potentially Feel JetBlue’s ‘Mint Effect’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The entrance of JetBlue into the transatlantic market is on the mind of a number of major airlines, including British Airways’ CEO Alex Cruz.
While JetBlue isn’t expected to enter the London market until 2021, and the airport to which it’ll fly has still yet to be disclosed, the looming introduction of a JetBlue route — and the ‘Mint Effect’ — seems to have the attention of Cruz.
“Airline pricing at the end is based on supply and demand,” Cruz told Skift’s Brian Sumers at the Skift Forum Europe on Tuesday. Cruz mentioned that if someone needs to fly from London to New York in three hours, they’re likely not looking at the cost of the ticket.
“If you repeatedly create a sensation or feeling of ripping people off, the moment that customers have an option to travel in a similar experience, they’ll leave,” Cruz said. “So you need to make sure that the overall proposition of what you have to offer — not just the ticket price, but everything that comes with it — it has to be correct otherwise you will lose customers.”
When JetBlue launched its business-class Mint product in 2014 on popular routes between New York and California, it transformed the transcontinental premium cabin market. Fares that once reached several thousands of dollars for a round-trip ticket decreased exponentially in order to match the introduction of JetBlue Mint’s sub-$1,200 round-trip fares. Not only were the prices much lower than those offered by legacy carriers, but the Mint product is widely considered to be the best flying on transcon routes — with lie-flat seats, tasty food options and friendly crew.
JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes announced the airline’s intention to launch flights from the East Coast of the US to London last month, alluding to the fact that the carrier intends to come in with the Mint Effect. “It’s the largest market that we don’t serve, out of both New York and Boston. It’s also a market that suffers very, very high fares, particularly in premium, so it is ripe for the JetBlue treatment of coming in and offering a much lower fare and a much better product and service to go with it.”
Of course, JetBlue is coming into a market dominated by Cruz’s British Airways and its Oneworld partner American Airlines. In fact, AA and BA operate 48% of the roughly 60,000 weekly seats between New York and London.
A quick scan of round-trip business-class flights between New York and London with British Airways hovers around the £2,000 mark (~$2,600). While we don’t yet know exact prices of what JetBlue plans to charge for Mint seats on the transatlantic routes, they’ll likely be much lower than the current offering from BA.
What does this mean for passengers? Likely, making business-class travel on the New York to London and Boston to London routes much more affordable.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees