More countries added to CDC’s highest travel advisory
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Aug. 2 issued newly updated travel advice for more than a dozen countries.
Several destinations popular with American travelers, including Greece, Ireland, Curaçao and the U.S. Virgin Islands, have been added to the CDC’s highest designation: Level 4: COVID-19 Very High. According to World Health Organization (WHO) data, all have seen an increase in positive COVID-19 cases. The popular Greek island of Mykonos in mid-July banned music across all food and drink outlets in response to a recent surge in COVID-19 cases on the island. Ireland on July 19 began allowing vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers, including Americans, to visit.
The CDC recommends avoiding travel to countries at Level 4, the highest threat level. Countries in that category have had more than 500 cases per 100,000 residents in the last 28 days. Level 4 countries include nations such as Argentina, Cuba and Brazil.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
The CDC’s threat levels are determined by the number of COVID-19 cases in a given country. The CDC recommends getting vaccinated before visiting any country at any level, but its guidance for unvaccinated travelers varies by how severe the pandemic is in each particular nation.
Several destinations, including French Polynesia, Finland and Puerto Rico, were added to the Level 3 designation. The CDC recommends being fully vaccinated before traveling to these destinations and says that unvaccinated travelers “should avoid nonessential travel.”
Notably, several countries, such as Iceland and Mauritius, were moved from the lowest Level 1 designation to Level 3.
Level 1 countries like Australia and New Zealand are considered the lowest-risk destinations because they have reported less than 50 COVID-19 cases in the last 28 days. The CDC still recommends getting vaccinated before traveling to any location at Level 1. Other countries currently at the Level 1 destination include Ghana, Singapore and Turks & Caicos.
The U.S. State Department has its own travel advisory risk system, ranging from Level 1 to Level 4. You can see this information in list format or on a color-coded map. However, travel guidance from the State Department isn’t always 100% in sync with the CDC, as it considers other factors aside from health-related risks.
Featured photo by Oleksii Khodkivskiy/Unsplash
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees