Costco members: Save 10% on Alaska and Southwest gift cards for a limited time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Discounted Alaska Airlines and Southwest gift cards
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The e-gift cards do not expire. Southwest allows a maximum of three gift cards per passenger on one reservation. Alaska will allow four. Costco imposes a limit of 10 e-card purchases per member per airline. Other restrictions exist, such as the fact that the Alaska cards can’t be used toward premium upgrades. But the offer is a pretty solid way to save when you’re paying cash.
How to pay for your gift cards
While you must use a Visa when buying merchandise in a Costco store, you can use several types of cards when checking out at Costco.com. You can use a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club, JBC or UnionPay.
This isn’t the first time Costco has offered discount airline gift cards. Last time around, Costco members could purchase Delta gift cards in-store or online. This time around, the Alaska and Southwest deals appear to be online-only.
Not surprisingly, the discounted Delta gift cards flew off the shelves. Even though this is an online sale, you’ll want to lock in your purchase ASAP since there’s no way to know when stock will be depleted.
Southwest promises a redemption code, sent normally within the hour via e-mail. Alaska’s processing time for the codes is 24 business hours.
Both airlines allow bookings that use a combination of both the e-card and a credit card. Using the right credit card — such Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card — can still get some build-in travel protections. (Check out this story to learn about credit cards with travel insurance benefits.)
Featured photo Pby AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees