Costco members: Save 10% on Alaska and Southwest gift cards for a limited time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Discounted Alaska Airlines and Southwest gift cards
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The e-gift cards do not expire. Southwest allows a maximum of three gift cards per passenger on one reservation. Alaska will allow four. Costco imposes a limit of 10 e-card purchases per member per airline. Other restrictions exist, such as the fact that the Alaska cards can’t be used toward premium upgrades. But the offer is a pretty solid way to save when you’re paying cash.
How to pay for your gift cards
While you must use a Visa when buying merchandise in a Costco store, you can use several types of cards when checking out at Costco.com. You can use a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club, JBC or UnionPay.
This isn’t the first time Costco has offered discount airline gift cards. Last time around, Costco members could purchase Delta gift cards in-store or online. This time around, the Alaska and Southwest deals appear to be online-only.
Not surprisingly, the discounted Delta gift cards flew off the shelves. Even though this is an online sale, you’ll want to lock in your purchase ASAP since there’s no way to know when stock will be depleted.
Southwest promises a redemption code, sent normally within the hour via e-mail. Alaska’s processing time for the codes is 24 business hours.
Both airlines allow bookings that use a combination of both the e-card and a credit card. Using the right credit card — such Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card — can still get some build-in travel protections. (Check out this story to learn about credit cards with travel insurance benefits.)
Featured photo Pby AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.