Exclusive: Act fast and apply before Clear raises its price this month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers interested in signing up for Clear should act fast before the expedited security program increases the price of its airport subscription service to $189 later this month.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
On May 19, Clear will increase its airport membership service by $10 from $179 to $189 for an annual subscription. It marks the first price change for the Clear product in its more than 10 years of existence.
The impending price increase will not immediately affect current Clear members already enrolled in the program, as they will continue to renew at the former price of $179 throughout 2022.
Clear users are able to bypass the normal Transportation Security Administration line at the airport by using a separate line for Clear users only, where they will be identified biometrically, either via fingerprints or iris scans. This information is then used to automate the identity verification step of the TSA screening process, rather than having to wait in line for a TSA agent to check your driver’s license or passport. Clear members are then escorted to the front of a regular security line, either for TSA PreCheck or for non-PreCheck users, depending on which applies to the traveler, though a membership to both ensures the quickest passage through security.
Starting May 19, the price for an annual Clear membership will increase to $189 for all users over age 18, though existing partnerships with Delta and United will not be affected.
As a reminder, the top status holders on both United and Delta — United’s Premier 1K and Delta’s Diamond Medallion members, respectively — are eligible for a free membership to Clear. All other status levels (Delta Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members and United Premier Platinum, Gold and Silver members) can get Clear for $109 annually. All other SkyMiles and MileagePlus members are able to pay $119 per year.
American Express cardholders should also take note of the new rate, as those with The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express and the Centurion Card from American Express all can expect to receive an annual $189 credit for the new membership price. Enrollment is required.
Lastly, American Express® Green Card holders are still eligible to receive $100 in statement credits per calendar year when using the card to pay for a Clear membership.
The information for the Amex Green Card and Centurion Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Children under age 18 traveling with adult members are able to go through Clear for free without having to possess their own membership. Students can get a discounted Clear rate of $50 per year for up to four years.
Families traveling together as adults should consider utilizing Clear’s family plan, which allows you to add up to three adults to a primary membership for $60 per additional person per year without incurring an additional full fee for each person yearly.
TPG readers can try out Clear for free with a two-month subscription.
Featured photo of a Clear biometric screening kiosk inside Terminal 7 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) by Bing Guan/Bloomberg.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees