The wait is over: Clear will open at United terminals in Houston next week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Having both TSA PreCheck and Clear can help you dramatically reduce the amount of time spent waiting around at an airport before your flight. Used either independently or together, both speed up the security process. You don’t need to take out your ID, take off your shoes, or remove your toiletries or electronics.
But a limiting factor has been that Clear (an expedited security program that helps you breeze through airport and stadium security with biometrics) isn’t at all airport terminals — it’s not even at all major U.S. airports.
At United’s media event in Chicago on Friday, Luc Bondar, head of United MileagePlus, announced that Clear would finally be opening on Oct. 30 at 10:30 a.m. in United terminals at Houston (IAH).
Here, Terminal A has had Clear for some time, but the United terminals — Terminals B, C and E — haven’t yet offered Clear services to travelers.
When United announced over the summer it was partnering (and investing) with Clear, the airline also confirmed that the program would be coming to all its hub airports in the U.S.
Clear is already available to passengers traveling through United’s hubs in Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD), but now we have an opening date for Clear in the United terminals in Houston (IAH).
Clear’s website now has Terminal B listed with operating hours of 5:00 a.m. to 9:05 p.m., while Clear at Terminal E will be available from 4:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
TPG has reached out to Clear about whether Terminal C, a workhorse for United mainline flights, would also get Clear in the near future.
Bondar didn’t have a specific opening date for Clear at the United hubs of Newark (EWR) and Chicago (ORD), other than to say they are coming “very soon” — and neither of those airports are listed on the Clear website at this time.
If you’re tempted by the prospect of even faster airport security, check out our full guide to Clear. Know that United and Delta frequent flyer program members get access to discounted Clear memberships (from $119 per year), while elites enjoy even deeper discounts (from $109 per year). Free memberships may be available to top tier members.
Get a 2-month free trial of Clear using code TPG2M
Families should also know that children under 18 can use Clear for free with an approved adult. Additional adults can also be added to the primary Clear plan for just $50 per year.
And now, for the first time, travelers with the American Express® Green Card can enjoy an up to $100 statement credit when they use the recently-refreshed card to purchase a Clear membership.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.