The wait is over: Clear will open at United terminals in Houston next week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Having both TSA PreCheck and Clear can help you dramatically reduce the amount of time spent waiting around at an airport before your flight. Used either independently or together, both speed up the security process. You don’t need to take out your ID, take off your shoes, or remove your toiletries or electronics.
But a limiting factor has been that Clear (an expedited security program that helps you breeze through airport and stadium security with biometrics) isn’t at all airport terminals — it’s not even at all major U.S. airports.
At United’s media event in Chicago on Friday, Luc Bondar, head of United MileagePlus, announced that Clear would finally be opening on Oct. 30 at 10:30 a.m. in United terminals at Houston (IAH).
Here, Terminal A has had Clear for some time, but the United terminals — Terminals B, C and E — haven’t yet offered Clear services to travelers.
When United announced over the summer it was partnering (and investing) with Clear, the airline also confirmed that the program would be coming to all its hub airports in the U.S.
Clear is already available to passengers traveling through United’s hubs in Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD), but now we have an opening date for Clear in the United terminals in Houston (IAH).
Clear’s website now has Terminal B listed with operating hours of 5:00 a.m. to 9:05 p.m., while Clear at Terminal E will be available from 4:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
TPG has reached out to Clear about whether Terminal C, a workhorse for United mainline flights, would also get Clear in the near future.
Bondar didn’t have a specific opening date for Clear at the United hubs of Newark (EWR) and Chicago (ORD), other than to say they are coming “very soon” — and neither of those airports are listed on the Clear website at this time.
If you’re tempted by the prospect of even faster airport security, check out our full guide to Clear. Know that United and Delta frequent flyer program members get access to discounted Clear memberships (from $119 per year), while elites enjoy even deeper discounts (from $109 per year). Free memberships may be available to top tier members.
Get a 2-month free trial of Clear using code TPG2M
Families should also know that children under 18 can use Clear for free with an approved adult. Additional adults can also be added to the primary Clear plan for just $50 per year.
And now, for the first time, travelers with the American Express® Green Card can enjoy an up to $100 statement credit when they use the recently-refreshed card to purchase a Clear membership.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees