How to Use 7,500 Citi ThankYou Points to Get to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, this isn’t a sale. Though Citi has been busy the last few weeks gutting its card benefits, it still remains a valuable transfer partner with multiple airlines around the world. Today, Frequent Miler noticed something amazing: Turkish Airlines, one of those partners, has an extremely generous policy for domestic flights:
What does this mean? Turkish, a member of Star Alliance, charges only 15,000 miles for round-trip flights in the same country. Now, it used to be that Turkish considered Hawaii a part of Oceania, but it looks like the airline has realigned its region definitions on the sly, adding Hawaii back to North America:
Using this award chart, you can fly from anywhere within the US to Hawaii for 7,500 ThankYou points, or 12,500 ThankYou points in business, via Turkish’s Star Alliance partner United. A quick check on United’s website shows that saver awards in economy price out at 22,000 miles each way:
Or, you can pay the cash cost of nearly $1,000:
At these redemption rates, you’re getting 12.5 cents per point (CPP) in redemption value with your ThankYou points. As TPG values Citi ThankYou points at 1.7 CPP, you’d be getting an insane value with your transfer, and even more if you fly business class, at 17.2 CPP.
Now, it’s important to note here that transfers to Turkish are not instant. TPG tried and found that it takes around one day to get those miles into your account, which is a bummer if you find availability that you absolutely need to have.
Still, this is a phenomenal opportunity on a previously overlooked sweet spot within the US, and welcome news for Citi loyalists after the recent spate of benefit cuts that we’ve seen.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo courtesy of Art Wager / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees