How to Use 7,500 Citi ThankYou Points to Get to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, this isn’t a sale. Though Citi has been busy the last few weeks gutting its card benefits, it still remains a valuable transfer partner with multiple airlines around the world. Today, Frequent Miler noticed something amazing: Turkish Airlines, one of those partners, has an extremely generous policy for domestic flights:
What does this mean? Turkish, a member of Star Alliance, charges only 15,000 miles for round-trip flights in the same country. Now, it used to be that Turkish considered Hawaii a part of Oceania, but it looks like the airline has realigned its region definitions on the sly, adding Hawaii back to North America:
Using this award chart, you can fly from anywhere within the US to Hawaii for 7,500 ThankYou points, or 12,500 ThankYou points in business, via Turkish’s Star Alliance partner United. A quick check on United’s website shows that saver awards in economy price out at 22,000 miles each way:
Or, you can pay the cash cost of nearly $1,000:
At these redemption rates, you’re getting 12.5 cents per point (CPP) in redemption value with your ThankYou points. As TPG values Citi ThankYou points at 1.7 CPP, you’d be getting an insane value with your transfer, and even more if you fly business class, at 17.2 CPP.
Now, it’s important to note here that transfers to Turkish are not instant. TPG tried and found that it takes around one day to get those miles into your account, which is a bummer if you find availability that you absolutely need to have.
Still, this is a phenomenal opportunity on a previously overlooked sweet spot within the US, and welcome news for Citi loyalists after the recent spate of benefit cuts that we’ve seen.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo courtesy of Art Wager / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.