How to Use 7,500 Citi ThankYou Points to Get to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, this isn’t a sale. Though Citi has been busy the last few weeks gutting its card benefits, it still remains a valuable transfer partner with multiple airlines around the world. Today, Frequent Miler noticed something amazing: Turkish Airlines, one of those partners, has an extremely generous policy for domestic flights:
What does this mean? Turkish, a member of Star Alliance, charges only 15,000 miles for round-trip flights in the same country. Now, it used to be that Turkish considered Hawaii a part of Oceania, but it looks like the airline has realigned its region definitions on the sly, adding Hawaii back to North America:
Using this award chart, you can fly from anywhere within the US to Hawaii for 7,500 ThankYou points, or 12,500 ThankYou points in business, via Turkish’s Star Alliance partner United. A quick check on United’s website shows that saver awards in economy price out at 22,000 miles each way:
Or, you can pay the cash cost of nearly $1,000:
At these redemption rates, you’re getting 12.5 cents per point (CPP) in redemption value with your ThankYou points. As TPG values Citi ThankYou points at 1.7 CPP, you’d be getting an insane value with your transfer, and even more if you fly business class, at 17.2 CPP.
Now, it’s important to note here that transfers to Turkish are not instant. TPG tried and found that it takes around one day to get those miles into your account, which is a bummer if you find availability that you absolutely need to have.
Still, this is a phenomenal opportunity on a previously overlooked sweet spot within the US, and welcome news for Citi loyalists after the recent spate of benefit cuts that we’ve seen.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo courtesy of Art Wager / Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.