Chrissy Teigen’s Latest Travel Hack Is a Lifesaver for Parents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chrissy Teigen, Twitter-fanatic, travel-expert, emotional support casserole visionary and mom-extraordinaire, is on a mission to alert young moms on the dos-and-don’ts for traveling with their young-ins.
Teigen, who’s married to singer John Legend, has one daughter and another child on the way. Both Teigen and Legend travel regularly and more often than not, they bring their daughter, Luna, along with them. In a recent interview with The Cut, Teigen talked traveling with children and revealed some travel hacks that every parent should know.
“We recently discovered that you can bring a car seat on the airplane and buckle them in,” Teigen revealed in the interview. “That’s our big strategy now. It changed everything!”
While many parents simply hold their child in their laps while flying (airlines don’t require you to purchase a seat for children under 2), you can actually bring your child’s car seat — as well as other types of child restraint systems (CRS) — and buckle them into an airplane seat. You must purchase the extra ticket, though, to ensure that the child will be guaranteed a seat. Many airlines offer free checking for car seats, too.
The FAA controls the approval of some, but not all, CRSs. Not all car seats are approved to use on aircraft. If the CRS is government-approved, it will have the this printed on it: “this restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.”
If you are interested in emulating Teigen, make sure your CRS is FAA-approved and has the certification printed on it. Otherwise, you might be asked to check the CRS as baggage. The FAA provides all the necessary information for parents traveling with children, including tips for parents:
- Make sure your CRS or device is approved for use on airplanes.
- Measure the width of your CRS. It should fit in most airplane seats if it is no wider than 16 inches.
- Ask your airline for a discounted fare. Buying a ticket for your child is the only way to guarantee that you will be able to use a CRS.
- Reserve adjoining seats. A CRS must not block the escape path in an emergency. Many airlines have policies that require a CRS to be placed in a window seat. Do not place a CRS in an exit row.
- If you do not buy a ticket for your child, ask if your airline will allow you to use an empty seat. If your airline’s policy allows this, avoid the busiest days and times to increase the likelihood of finding an empty seat next to you.
So, thank you, Chrissy Teigen for easing parents’ travel woes. We cannot wait to see what future travel hacks you have in store for us.
Featured image by Robert Kamau/GC Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees