Tower workers at Chicago Midway airport test positive for COVID-19; ground stop ordered
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials have ordered a ground stop at Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) Tuesday evening. No flights are going out of, or into, the airport. The one currently inbound flight is proceeding to MDW but may divert to another airport. The reason is that three workers at the air traffic control tower have tested positive for COVID-19, which resulted in the closure of the tower, according to media reports. The Federal Aviation Administration said that the tower is being cleaned.
Flight-tracking site FlightAware reported that all flights inbound to MDW are being held at their origin airports until 6:15 p.m. Chicago time, i.e. a ground stop.
The Federal Aviation Administration issued the following statement, as reported by the CBS Chicago affiliate:
Contingency plans are in place to ensure the continuity of maintenance and around-the-clock air traffic control services at Midway and other air traffic facilities across the nation. In extreme circumstances, service levels could vary, but safety will not be compromised.
Aviation journalist Ethan Klapper tweeted that sources familiar with the situation said “there will not be a quick resolution.”
Midway International Airport has not yet provided a statement on the situation.
Flight-tracking site Flightradar24 showed that flights bound for Midway currently are turning back or appearing to divert:
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees