How to easily check your passport application status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
Before your next international trip, whether it’s in a few months or a year, it’s a good idea to make sure all your ducks are in a row so you don’t end up in that situation. If you’re planning your first international trip during your time at home during quarantine (check out our suggestions and tips), we know you probably have a bunch of questions, too — namely, how to check the status of your passport.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, passport operations by the Department of State are severely delayed. Since March, expedited passport processing is reserved only for those traveling in the next 72 hours with life-or-death emergencies.
According to the Department of State, “a total of 11 passport agencies and centers are in phase two, and 15 agencies and centers are in phase one of [its] three-phase reopening plan,” as of Sept. 8. The Department is currently unable to give real-time updates on when you’ll receive your citizenship documents and passport and only says, “Expect delays due to COVID-19” with regard to the timeline for the standard process.
Normally, applying for and receiving a U.S. passport can take anywhere from six to eight weeks. That includes the time it takes to apply for one and receive it via mail. If you need it sooner, and when expedited processing is available to everyone, you usually receive it within two to three weeks, though it will be subject to an additional $60 fee for fast-track service.
How to check your passport application status online
If you’ve already applied for a passport and want to check its status, you can access the Online Passport Status System. Once there, enter your last name, date of birth, social security number and a security code.
Keep in mind, though, that usually, it takes anywhere from seven to 10 business days for your application to be trackable online. Currently, the only updates you will see are either “Not Found,” which means it is in transit to a passport agency, or “In Process,” which means it is with the Department of State and will be reviewed as staff returns in phases.
You can also sign up to receive automatic email updates on the status of your passport by entering your email address in the system.
How to check your passport application status via phone
Additionally, you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (or 1-888-874-7793 if you’re hearing-impaired). The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, and normally Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST, but Saturdays are currently not listed. It is not open Sundays or federal holidays.
How to check your passport application status by email
While you can email the National Passport Information Center at NPIC@state.gov, the agency does not recommend it. Not only will it take the staff at least 24 hours to get back to you, but they can’t email you the status of your passport. Instead, they recommend calling or using the aforementioned Online Passport Status System.
With additional reporting by Mimi Wright.
Featured photo by Spencer Davis/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.