How to easily check your passport application status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Before your next international trip, it’s a good idea to make sure all your ducks are in order so you don’t end up in such a situation. If it’s your first international trip, we know you probably have a bunch of questions, too — namely, how to check the status of your passport.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Applying for and receiving a U.S. passport can take anywhere from six to eight weeks, as the Department of State notes. That includes the time it takes to apply for one and receive it via mail. If you need it sooner, you can get an expedited passport within two to three weeks, though it will be subject to an additional $60 fee for fast-track service.
How to check your passport application status online
If you’ve already applied for a passport and want to check its status, you can access the Online Passport Status System. Once there, enter your last name, date of birth, social security number and a security code. (Keep in mind, though, that it will take anywhere from seven to 10 business days for your application to be trackable online.)
You can also sign up to receive automatic email updates on the status of your passport by entering your email address in the system.
How to check your passport application status via phone
Additionally, you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (or 1-888-874-7793 if you’re hearing-impaired). The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, as well as Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST. It is not open Sundays or federal holidays.
How to check your passport application status by email
While you can email the National Passport Information Center at NPIC@state.gov, the agency does not recommend it. Not only will it take the staff at least 24 hours to get back to you, bit they can’t email you the status of your passport. Instead, they recommend calling or using the aforementioned Online Passport Status System.
Featured photo by Spencer Davis/Unsplash.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.