How to easily check your passport application status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
Before your next international trip, whether it’s in a few months or a year, it’s a good idea to make sure all your ducks are in a row so you don’t end up in that situation. If you’re planning your first international trip during your time at home during quarantine (check out our suggestions and tips), we know you probably have a bunch of questions, too — namely, how to check the status of your passport.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, passport operations by the Department of State are severely delayed. Since March, expedited passport processing is reserved only for those traveling in the next 72 hours with life-or-death emergencies.
According to the Department of State, “a total of 11 passport agencies and centers are in phase two, and 15 agencies and centers are in phase one of [its] three-phase reopening plan,” as of Sept. 8. The Department is currently unable to give real-time updates on when you’ll receive your citizenship documents and passport and only says, “Expect delays due to COVID-19” with regard to the timeline for the standard process.
Normally, applying for and receiving a U.S. passport can take anywhere from six to eight weeks. That includes the time it takes to apply for one and receive it via mail. If you need it sooner, and when expedited processing is available to everyone, you usually receive it within two to three weeks, though it will be subject to an additional $60 fee for fast-track service.
How to check your passport application status online
If you’ve already applied for a passport and want to check its status, you can access the Online Passport Status System. Once there, enter your last name, date of birth, social security number and a security code.
Keep in mind, though, that usually, it takes anywhere from seven to 10 business days for your application to be trackable online. Currently, the only updates you will see are either “Not Found,” which means it is in transit to a passport agency, or “In Process,” which means it is with the Department of State and will be reviewed as staff returns in phases.
You can also sign up to receive automatic email updates on the status of your passport by entering your email address in the system.
How to check your passport application status via phone
Additionally, you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (or 1-888-874-7793 if you’re hearing-impaired). The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, and normally Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST, but Saturdays are currently not listed. It is not open Sundays or federal holidays.
How to check your passport application status by email
While you can email the National Passport Information Center at NPIC@state.gov, the agency does not recommend it. Not only will it take the staff at least 24 hours to get back to you, but they can’t email you the status of your passport. Instead, they recommend calling or using the aforementioned Online Passport Status System.
With additional reporting by Mimi Wright.
Featured photo by Spencer Davis/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees