Chase Freedom Unlimited Offering 3% Cash Back on up to $20k Spent in Your First Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Freedom Unlimited
The Chase Freedom Unlimited has long been both a great starter card for those with limited credit history and the ideal complement to cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve. The lack of an annual fee on the Freedom Unlimited, as well as its 1.5x earning on all purchases (with no bonus categories or annual limits to worry about), makes it a great choice for quickly racking up Chase Ultimate Rewards points — if you pair it with a card that earns UR points, that is.
For most of its history, the Freedom Unlimited has offered the same sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after spending $500 in the first 3 months. However, Chase has just changed the offer. Now, new card holders will earn 3% back or 3x points on their first $20,000 in purchases in the first year of card membership. The card still doesn’t have an annual fee and will continue to earn 1.5x points on all purchases after you meet the $20,000 cap. This is the new standard offer, so it will be available for the foreseeable future without any specific end date.
The Freedom Unlimited is certainly not the first card to move away from fixed bonus offers and instead reward customers who spend more. There’s no denying that this offer is more rewarding than the old $150/15,000-point offer, and even light spenders should be able to get a great deal of value out of this.
If you spend just $1,000 a month on your Freedom Unlimited, you’ll earn 36,000 points with the 3x bonus. With the old offer, you would’ve earned a 15,000-point bonus but only earned 1.5x on your spending, leaving you with 33,000 points at the end of the year. Obviously the more you spend the bigger the gap gets, making it easy to rack up tens of thousands of points with this card.
One important note is that the Freedom Unlimited can only achieve its full potential when paired with a premium Chase Ultimate Rewards-earning card, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Business Preferred Credit Card. Technically, the Chase Freedom Unlimited is a cash-back card, but it earns rewards in the form of “points” that are worth a fixed 1 cent apiece. If you hold one of the Chase cards mentioned above, you can combine your points from the Freedom Unlimited with the points earned on that card, turning them into full-fledged transferable Ultimate Rewards points. TPG values Ultimate Rewards points at 2 cents each thanks to a strong collection of transfer partners including Hyatt and United, so you can literally double the return of your Freedom Unlimited just by pairing it with the right card.
Like most of Chase’s credit cards, the Freedom Unlimited is restricted by the 5/24 rule. Generally speaking, this means that you’ll be automatically rejected if you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards in the last 24 months. If you’re interested in the Freedom Unlimited for its long-term earning potential you can product change from a Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) or Chase Sapphire card if your account has been open for more than one year, but you won’t be able to earn the new bonus.
Whether it’s the first card you add to your wallet or one you add down the line to maximize your everyday spending, the Chase Freedom Unlimited is one of the best ways to keep racking up large amounts of points long after you’ve earned and spent your initial sign-up bonus. The new bonus offer of 3% cash back on all purchases for the first $20,000 you spend in the first year is a great way to get out to a head start. If you don’t already have a Freedom Unlimited in your wallet and you’re under 5/24, this bonus is a no-brainer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees