Breaking: CDC relaxes mask guidelines for fully vaccinated Americans when outdoors
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Tuesday that fully vaccinated Americans can partake in some outdoor activities without wearing a mask.
People who have been fully vaccinated (and wait two weeks after receiving their second dose, when applicable) can exercise alone or gather with small groups outside without wearing a mask, the CDC has said. Eating maskless at an outdoor restaurant is also acceptable. However, the CDC said people should still wear a mask when in large settings such as concerts.
The CDC’s guidance does not specifically mention privately-owned theme parks, ski resorts or beaches, which could be considered crowded outdoor spaces and therefore masks might still be recommended. We will be watching closely at TPG to see how local governments and private resort owners and operators react to the new guidance.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The CDC has said that masks “may not be necessary” for fully vaccinated Americans who are outside alone or with people from the same household. However, some areas may have public mask mandates that still take precedent, and there continue to be federal mask mandates at places such as airports.
This newest update comes more than a month after the CDC updated its guidelines to say that people who have been fully vaccinated could visit indoors with other fully vaccinated people without wearing masks or social distancing. People who have been fully vaccinated can also avoid quarantine and testing if they’ve been exposed to COVID-19 but remain asymptomatic.
The CDC says these guidelines apply to people who have had both two-dose vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) or a one-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson), and it’s been two weeks after they received the last dose.
The CDC also updated travel guidelines earlier this month, saying that fully vaccinated Americans can travel at “low-risk” to themselves.
At this time, nearly 100 million people in the United States have now been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Featured photo by Kseniya Ovchinnikova/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees