CDC adds several countries to its ‘avoid travel’ list, including Aruba, France, Israel and Thailand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention added several more countries to its “avoid travel” list, including many that have become very popular with Americans.
Aruba, France, French Polynesia, Iceland, Israel and Thailand all got the CDC’s highest designation, “Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19,” Aug. 9. Eswatini, formerly known as Swaziland, is also now on the Level 4 list.
According to World Health Organization data, all have seen an increase in COVID-19 cases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As an example, here is how the CDC describes the warning for Aruba:
- Avoid travel to Aruba.
- If you must travel to Aruba, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.
- Because of the current situation in Aruba, even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants.
- See recommendations for fully vaccinated travelers.
- See recommendations for unvaccinated travelers.
- Travelers should follow recommendations or requirements in Aruba, including wearing a mask and staying 6 feet apart from others.
- Quick guide for travelers.
The U.S. Department of State has its own rankings. Those rankings range from Level 1 to Level 4, though they don’t always line up with CDC warnings.
For France, the State Department says:
“Do not travel to France due to COVID-19. … The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for France due to COVID-19 indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into France.”
Take a look at the color-coded map here for more information from the State Department.
Featured photo of CDC Headquarters in Atlanta in April 2020 by Tami Chappell/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees