Cathay Pacific Sees Major Profit Turn Around in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific is finally seeing an increase in profit after two years of financial loss.
The Hong Kong-based carrier said Wednesday that a preliminary review of the unaudited consolidated management accounts show profits for 2018 to be 2.3 billion HKD ($293 million USD)— a major increase compared to last year’s report.
In 2017, Cathay saw a loss of about $160 million USD in profits— which was nearly double the amount that the airline lost the year before. The airline attributed most of these losses to an 11.3% increase in its already pricey fuel bill, which accounted for about a third of the company’s expenses. However, as One Mile at a Time points out, other issues stemmed from more competition and too much capacity on key routes and aircraft that are not efficiently configured to maximize revenue.
As for why the staggering increase in profits occurred last year, Cathay highlighted a three-year company restructuring that focused on capacity growth, customer service and management of revenue for its passenger business. This process has led to the airline cutting some of its routes, reducing its workforce, and an ongoing mass reconfiguration project that will transform 68 of its 777s to 10-across seating in economy. They’d also taken on new leadership under CEO Rupert Hogg in mid-2017.
Cathay plans on releasing a fully consolidated review of its 2018 profits in March.
Featured image by DALE DE LA REY via Getty.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees