Cathay Pacific Sees Major Profit Turn Around in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific is finally seeing an increase in profit after two years of financial loss.
The Hong Kong-based carrier said Wednesday that a preliminary review of the unaudited consolidated management accounts show profits for 2018 to be 2.3 billion HKD ($293 million USD)— a major increase compared to last year’s report.
In 2017, Cathay saw a loss of about $160 million USD in profits— which was nearly double the amount that the airline lost the year before. The airline attributed most of these losses to an 11.3% increase in its already pricey fuel bill, which accounted for about a third of the company’s expenses. However, as One Mile at a Time points out, other issues stemmed from more competition and too much capacity on key routes and aircraft that are not efficiently configured to maximize revenue.
As for why the staggering increase in profits occurred last year, Cathay highlighted a three-year company restructuring that focused on capacity growth, customer service and management of revenue for its passenger business. This process has led to the airline cutting some of its routes, reducing its workforce, and an ongoing mass reconfiguration project that will transform 68 of its 777s to 10-across seating in economy. They’d also taken on new leadership under CEO Rupert Hogg in mid-2017.
Cathay plans on releasing a fully consolidated review of its 2018 profits in March.
Featured image by DALE DE LA REY via Getty.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees