Cathay Pacific Sees Major Profit Turn Around in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific is finally seeing an increase in profit after two years of financial loss.
The Hong Kong-based carrier said Wednesday that a preliminary review of the unaudited consolidated management accounts show profits for 2018 to be 2.3 billion HKD ($293 million USD)— a major increase compared to last year’s report.
In 2017, Cathay saw a loss of about $160 million USD in profits— which was nearly double the amount that the airline lost the year before. The airline attributed most of these losses to an 11.3% increase in its already pricey fuel bill, which accounted for about a third of the company’s expenses. However, as One Mile at a Time points out, other issues stemmed from more competition and too much capacity on key routes and aircraft that are not efficiently configured to maximize revenue.
As for why the staggering increase in profits occurred last year, Cathay highlighted a three-year company restructuring that focused on capacity growth, customer service and management of revenue for its passenger business. This process has led to the airline cutting some of its routes, reducing its workforce, and an ongoing mass reconfiguration project that will transform 68 of its 777s to 10-across seating in economy. They’d also taken on new leadership under CEO Rupert Hogg in mid-2017.
Cathay plans on releasing a fully consolidated review of its 2018 profits in March.
Featured image by DALE DE LA REY via Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees