Canada’s capital is getting its first-ever Boeing 787 Dreamliner route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fans of the Dreamliner will soon have a new option for flights between North America and Europe.
That will come in Ottawa (YOW), where Air Canada will switch to the Boeing 787-8 for its route to London Heathrow (LHR) on March 29. Air Canada currently operates Boeing 767s on the route.
Air Canada billed the move as a way to add capacity. The airline’s 787-8s seat 255 passengers, 44 more than the 767s it currently flies between the cities.
For Ottawa, however, the aircraft switch represents a milestone for Canada’s capital city.
“The Air Canada decision to put the Dreamliner on the route is an exciting one,” Ottawa International Airport spokeswoman Krista Kealey said in an email to TPG. “It will be the first Dreamliner serving YOW.”
The switch from the 767 to the 787 also will bring Air Canada’s “next generation cabin” to the route, giving Ottawa-London passengers the option to book the carrier’s international-style premium economy recliner seats.
Air Canada’s 787-8s are configured with 20 business-class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration and 21 premium economy seats in a 2-3-2 configuration. In coach, there are 214 seats in a 3-3-3 arrangement.
The premium economy option is not available on the 767s that Air Canada currently flies between YOW and LHR.
Still, LHR won’t be Ottawa’s only route to get international premium economy seating.
In May, Air Canada’s joint-venture partner Lufthansa is set to pick up the Ottawa-Frankfurt route that’s currently operated by Air Canada. Lufthansa will use 279-seat Airbus A340-300s on the route, replacing Air Canada’s 211-seat 767s. As with the LHR aircraft change, Lufthansa’s A340s will add its premium economy product to the FRA-YOW market.
“Ottawa is well know for being Canada’s capital city, and that is something we are proud of,” Joel Tkach, YOW’s Marketing and Business Development chief, said to TPG. “Beyond the political landscape, it is exciting to see carriers like Air Canada and Lufthansa recognize Ottawa-Gatineau business and tourism growth by introducing new levels of service — inclusive of premium economy cabins that should suit our market well.”
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees