Lufthansa to take over Frankfurt-Ottawa run from Air Canada
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa will add Ottawa to its route map next year, taking over the seasonal run from Frankfurt from partner Air Canada.
The Star Alliance carrier will offer five-times weekly service between Frankfurt (FRA) and Ottawa (YOW) beginning May 16, it announced on Tuesday. Lufthansa will operate an Airbus A340-300 with 279 seats on the route through Oct. 24, 2020.
Ottawa will be Lufthansa‘s fifth city in Canada after Calgary (YYC), Montreal (YUL), Toronto (YYZ), and Vancouver (YVR).
Air Canada has flown between Frankfurt and Ottawa during the summer season since 2008, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data. It currently operates a Boeing 767-300ER on the route.
While dropping the Frankfurt run from Canada’s capital, Air Canada will shift its year-round flight to London Heathrow (LHR) from Ottawa to a Boeing 787-8 with 255 seats on Mar. 29, the Montreal-based carrier said in a statement. The airline operates a 767-300ER with 211 seats on the route today, Diio data shows.
Air Canada and Lufthansa have an immunized joint venture between Canada and Europe that allows them to coordinate everything from schedules to fares and marketing as if they were a single carrier. The pact, which also covers flights between the U.S. and Europe, includes Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Swiss and United Airlines.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees