Can I Book Premium Economy Seats With United Miles?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are now answered twice a week by TPG Associate Editor Brendan Dorsey.
Premium economy is becoming more widely available as an option for those who want a better experience than the main cabin but aren’t willing to shell out the dollars or miles for business class. TPG reader Ken writes in asking if he can use his United miles to book premium economy tickets…
A number of airlines in the Star Alliance have premium economy (Lufthansa, Air Canada, etc.) but United does not. Is there a way to book premium economy using United miles?TPG Reader Ken
Unfortunately Ken, the short answer is no, you won’t be able to book any sort of premium economy ticket with your United miles. United doesn’t offer a premium economy product on its own aircraft, but plans on introducing it this fall.
When performing a search on United’s website, say from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt (FRA), you’ll see that Lufthansa and Singapore both come up as options, and both of those airlines have premium economy seats on that route. Yet, there are only options to book an economy, business or first-class award.
Even though it’s not bookable online, is there a way to get around this and call in to United and book over the phone? No you won’t be able to do that either. In fact, United doesn’t even list premium economy as an option on its award chart.
Once United launches its own premium economy product, it will add this as an award booking option. Hopefully it will allow the ability to book partner airlines’ premium economy products too.
It’s still unclear what routes it plans to offer premium economy on, other that they’ll be to international destinations. Cash and mileage prices will fall somewhere between the cost of an economy and business class ticket.
If you have points with a transferrable points program like Chase Ultimate Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Citi ThankYou Points or Amex Membership Rewards, you’ll have better luck transferring to an airline partner that allows premium economy award bookings — like Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles, British Airways’ Executive Club or Air Canada’s Aeroplan.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees