Would you pay $100 to tour a hotel you weren’t staying in?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Would you pay more than $100 just to have a look at a hotel you weren’t even staying in?
Dubai’s most iconic, and only (self-proclaimed) seven-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab has launched Inside Burj Al Arab, where members of the general public can purchase tickets for a small-group, butler-guided tour of the property.
This landmark hotel is usually closed to anyone who is not staying at the hotel, or has booked a meal in one of its sky-high restaurants (with astronomical prices to match).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Tickets start at 399 dirhams ($108) per person and run every 15 minutes from 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily. You might think the price covers a whole day of hotel entertainment and use of their extensive facilities such as the pool deck — but you’d be wrong. This is Dubai, after all.
The ticket only includes the guided tour and the ability to take photos inside one of the most opulent buildings in the Middle East. No bed for the night, no cooked breakfast, not even a soft drink.
When booking your tour ticket online you have the option of purchasing additional items, such as the hotel’s famous 24-carat Ultimate Gold Cappuccino served at Sahn Eddar restaurant, or a full meal in any of the hotel’s restaurants.
These don’t come cheap either, of course. When it debuted, the glitzy cappuccino cost about $26.
Note that anyone can gain access to the public areas of the hotel just by making a restaurant or bar reservation, without the need to pay extra to purchase an Inside Burj Al Arab ticket. This allows you to have a good look through the hotel, though you won’t have anything in the way of a guided tour — which includes a peek into the Royal Suite the hotel describes as the “pinnacle of luxury” — and simply dining or drinking at an on-site venue could cost be an expensive endeavor.
The tour promises to “appeal to those intrigued by [the Burj Al Arab] story, not just of the building, but of its people, creativity and ingenuity, as well as its Emirati hospitality, Arabian opulence and world-class service.”
Note the hotel is only 22 years old, so the tour may not be as rich in history as, say, a tour of the Palace of Versailles.
Photo by Basith Rahman Rahman / EyeEm/ Gettys
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees