This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has decided to experiment with inflight hygiene.
Last week, BA ran a “no clean” trial between busy flights from London Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Dublin Airport (DUB) — the route that was previously named the busiest in Europe in 2018. The trial was to see if cutting out the usual cleaning process between flights could save time and decrease delays.
The regular British Airways cabin cleaning routine between flights involves a crew of designated ground staff who board the plane after passengers disembark to tidy up for the next trip. During the cleaning, airline flight attendants take a scheduled break.
In the case of BA’s trial, ground staff remained on the ground, and flight attendants were “encouraged to collect as much rubbish as possible before landing.” Airline bosses suggested that crew, in case of any passenger complaints about the state of the aircraft, offer customers their apologies and “explain the cabin has not been cleaned… to assist the punctuality of our operation.” Yet, union officials advised flight attendants not to help replace cleaners.
Despite the cabin crew’s best efforts, those aboard the BA flights during the trial were met with trash-stuffed seat pockets, filthy bathrooms and garbage bins filled to the brim.
However, if you’re one of the many people who frequent the route from LHR to DUB, fear not. British Airways confirmed to Simple Flying that the trial period was just a trial, and it would not be rolled out in the future.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees