This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has decided to experiment with inflight hygiene.
Last week, BA ran a “no clean” trial between busy flights from London Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Dublin Airport (DUB) — the route that was previously named the busiest in Europe in 2018. The trial was to see if cutting out the usual cleaning process between flights could save time and decrease delays.
The regular British Airways cabin cleaning routine between flights involves a crew of designated ground staff who board the plane after passengers disembark to tidy up for the next trip. During the cleaning, airline flight attendants take a scheduled break.
In the case of BA’s trial, ground staff remained on the ground, and flight attendants were “encouraged to collect as much rubbish as possible before landing.” Airline bosses suggested that crew, in case of any passenger complaints about the state of the aircraft, offer customers their apologies and “explain the cabin has not been cleaned… to assist the punctuality of our operation.” Yet, union officials advised flight attendants not to help replace cleaners.
Despite the cabin crew’s best efforts, those aboard the BA flights during the trial were met with trash-stuffed seat pockets, filthy bathrooms and garbage bins filled to the brim.
However, if you’re one of the many people who frequent the route from LHR to DUB, fear not. British Airways confirmed to Simple Flying that the trial period was just a trial, and it would not be rolled out in the future.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees