British (not) Airways: Why there are zero BA flights in the sky right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were supposed to be flying British Airways on Tuesday, you’re definitely still on the ground. There are absolutely no BA flights aloft at the moment, as the airline goes into the second day of a planned pilot’s strike.
Earlier today, there was one single BA aircraft in the sky, but it appears to have been a 747 ferrying from London Heathrow to Bournemouth, likely just to park for day two of the industrial action.
Here’s what you need to know about what’s going on at BA:
Due to an ongoing contract dispute, the airline’s pilots announced a two-day strike, which began Monday and will end Tuesday evening. As a result, British Airways has had to cancel virtually all of its flights. It’s likely that cancellations will spill over into Wednesday, and possibly later into the week, as the airline repositions planes to restore service when the pilots return to the line.
Service should be restored fairly quickly, but the pilots might strike again for one day on Sept. 27 if the contract dispute continues.
Click here to read more about the strike, and for advice about what to do if your travel plans have been affected.
Featured photo by Grzegorz Bajor via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees