British (not) Airways: Why there are zero BA flights in the sky right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were supposed to be flying British Airways on Tuesday, you’re definitely still on the ground. There are absolutely no BA flights aloft at the moment, as the airline goes into the second day of a planned pilot’s strike.
Earlier today, there was one single BA aircraft in the sky, but it appears to have been a 747 ferrying from London Heathrow to Bournemouth, likely just to park for day two of the industrial action.
Here’s what you need to know about what’s going on at BA:
Due to an ongoing contract dispute, the airline’s pilots announced a two-day strike, which began Monday and will end Tuesday evening. As a result, British Airways has had to cancel virtually all of its flights. It’s likely that cancellations will spill over into Wednesday, and possibly later into the week, as the airline repositions planes to restore service when the pilots return to the line.
Service should be restored fairly quickly, but the pilots might strike again for one day on Sept. 27 if the contract dispute continues.
Click here to read more about the strike, and for advice about what to do if your travel plans have been affected.
Featured photo by Grzegorz Bajor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.