British (not) Airways: Why there are zero BA flights in the sky right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you were supposed to be flying British Airways on Tuesday, you’re definitely still on the ground. There are absolutely no BA flights aloft at the moment, as the airline goes into the second day of a planned pilot’s strike.
Earlier today, there was one single BA aircraft in the sky, but it appears to have been a 747 ferrying from London Heathrow to Bournemouth, likely just to park for day two of the industrial action.
Here’s what you need to know about what’s going on at BA:
Due to an ongoing contract dispute, the airline’s pilots announced a two-day strike, which began Monday and will end Tuesday evening. As a result, British Airways has had to cancel virtually all of its flights. It’s likely that cancellations will spill over into Wednesday, and possibly later into the week, as the airline repositions planes to restore service when the pilots return to the line.
Service should be restored fairly quickly, but the pilots might strike again for one day on Sept. 27 if the contract dispute continues.
Click here to read more about the strike, and for advice about what to do if your travel plans have been affected.
Featured photo by Grzegorz Bajor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees