British Airways Unveils 747 BOAC Retro Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is joining the group of airlines that recognize their past by flying a so-called “retro livery” — a plane, or planes, painted in one of the airline’s old color schemes. BA just announced it will bring its first retro livery to one of its 747s. As part of the airline’s 100-year birthday, BA is painting one of its 747s in the livery of one of its predecessor airlines, British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC).
You can find the aircraft flying with its new paint job as of Feb. 18, 2019. The 747 getting the BOAC livery is registered as G-BYGC, a 20-year-old Boeing 747-400 that BA took delivery of in January 1999. It’s currently being painted in Dublin and will leave the paint shop and return to London Heathrow (LHR) on Feb. 18. On Feb. 19, the aircraft will re-enter service, sporting its new paint job.
The BOAC livery flew between 1964 and 1974, when BOAC was merged into the newly-formed British Airways. Since 1974, BA’s changed a few color schemes. In 1997, it unveiled the Chatham Royal Dockyard livery, which it still uses today.
“So many British Airways customers and colleagues have fond memories of our previous liveries, regularly sharing their photos from across the globe, so it’s incredibly exciting to be re-introducing this classic BOAC design,” BA Chairman and CEO Alex Cruz said.
G-BYGC will feature the BOAC retro livery until the aircraft is retired in 2023. By then, the airline will have retired the majority of its aging 747 fleet, replacing it with modern and more fuel-efficient aircraft like Boeing 787s and Airbus A350s. All of the new aircraft that it expects to take delivery of will continue to be outfitted in the Chatham Dockyard livery.
While the retro 747 doesn’t re-enter service until Feb. 19, if you’re flying with BA on one of its Queen of the Skies on that date, you’ll want to check out to see if you’re one of the lucky first flyers on the retro paint job. Use flight-tracking sites like FlightRadar24 and search G-BYGC as the date nears. Most recently, G-BYGC has flown between LHR and many of BA’s North American destinations — Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), New York (JFK) and San Diego (SAN).
All photos courtesy British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees