British Airways’ first Boeing 787-10 will debut in February to Atlanta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Boeing 787-10 for British Airways will begin service in February next year, becoming the newest aircraft to enter the fleet as part of the airline’s plan to renew its long-haul offering. British Airways said in a statement on Tuesday the 787-10 Dreamliner will be delivered in January, and will debut on the London Heathrow to Atlanta route the following month.
Most importantly for passengers, it will feature British Airways’ newest business-class seat, the Club Suite, which is a major improvement over the biz-class product currently offered to Atlanta and to other US destinations except New York JFK.
Atlanta also happens to be the main base of Delta Air Lines, which has a joint venture on routes across the ocean with Virgin Atlantic, BA’s historical rival.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The airline posted on Tuesday on its public-relations Instagram account an image of its first 787-10 being assembled at the Boeing plant in Charleston, South Carolina.
A seat map provided by British shows the four-class jet will have eight first-class seats, the same now fitted to the smaller 787-9; behind that cabin will be 48 Club Suite seats, all forward-facing and offering direct aisle access, unlike the current biz product.
Then, there will be 35 seats in World Traveller Plus and 165 in World Traveller, which is what British calls its premium economy and economy classes.
That total capacity of 256 seats is a very low density for the 787-10, and it’s clearly designed to maximize premium seating, making it likely the new jet will be deployed on routes with heavy business traffic.
The longest of the three Dreamliner models seats far more people with the other airlines that fly it, from 294 with Japan’s ANA to 366 with Vietnam Airlines. U.S.-based flyers may be familiar with the 787-10s in service with United, which seat 318 people in Polaris business, premium economy and coach.
British is currently the only airline putting first class in the 787-10, an airliner designed to fly shorter routes than the smaller 787-8 and 787-9 models but with lower costs per seat thanks to its higher capacity. With its 7,400-mile range, the -10 still has the legs to fly nonstop to most of BA’s destinations — but cannot hold a candle to the -9 model, which can go 9,000 miles with a full load.
British Airways currently has 12 787-8 and 16 787-9 Dreamliners, and it said it will take delivery of 12 787-10 Dreamliners, with six arriving in 2020.
Featured image courtesy of British Airways
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees